walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor via Curved Ridge - 50th & 51st munros

Buachaille Etive Mor via Curved Ridge - 50th & 51st munros

by jwramsay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1300m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor via Curved Ridge - 50th & 51st munros

Postby LJgee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Great report and Brilliant photos, oh how I wish for days like that.
Walk looks scary in places something I have to add to the todo list.
Thanks for the report
LJgee
Munro compleatist

Munros:177   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:10

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor via Curved Ridge - 50th & 51st munr

Postby dgesl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Great report and promted me to give it a go ! I am sure this is only my 11th munro but along with your report it has got me totally hooked on the pastime ! I am by no means saying this is easy but the feeling a got was amasing when at summit and surprizingly a forgot all the difficultly getting there ! Maybe this was down to the good weather we experienced on our climb .We could easily plan our climb avoiding the very slippy wet rock , never thought to be honest until i finished this route as to what it would have been like if it started to rain or snow and the rock all became wet and slippy . :D :D :D :D :D
dgesl
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jwramsay » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 pm

dgesl wrote:Great report and promted me to give it a go ! I am sure this is only my 11th munro but along with your report it has got me totally hooked on the pastime ! I am by no means saying this is easy but the feeling a got was amasing when at summit and surprizingly a forgot all the difficultly getting there ! Maybe this was down to the good weather we experienced on our climb .We could easily plan our climb avoiding the very slippy wet rock , never thought to be honest until i finished this route as to what it would have been like if it started to rain or snow and the rock all became wet and slippy . :D :D :D :D :D

Well done, it's a great buzz isn't it.

Aonach Eagach next! (which I have a trip report on too)
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby satkins » Fri May 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Fantastic descriptive photos and report detail. I love the line showing the ascent route. Really useful. Sounds like a perfect day, well done. :D
satkins
Scrambler

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:69   

Postby gaffr » Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 am

Always good to see folks getting to Stob Dearg via the ridge....it is the interesting scrambling way to reach the summit.
We used to use the ridge in descent after a route on Rannoch wall or on Crowberry ridge. In those days parking was available across the river from Jacksonville but I guess nowadays maybe not so convenient with the parking area at the Lagangarbh end. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gman » Sat May 13, 2017 9:10 am

gaffr wrote:In those days parking was available across the river from Jacksonville but I guess nowadays maybe not so convenient with the parking area at the Lagangarbh end. :)

You can still park at Jacksonville, there's usually plenty of spaces available (and it gives one of the best views of the Buachaille). Like you say, it's not the most convenient place to return to if you're planning to descend Coire na Tulaich or along the Lairig Gartain but it's ideal if you're coming down Curved Ridge (or Great Gully Buttress which is easier). I usually bring wellies for the boggy walk across to the water slab and river crossing (there's a waist-deep patch just after the car park).

Here's a pic from Monday showing (right to left): Great Gully Buttress, North Buttress, Crowberry Buttress and Curved Ridge. Water slab bottom left. North Buttress & a descent of Curved Ridge makes a nice day, Just remember to change out of your wellies for the scrambling :D .

gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gaffr » Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 am

The waist deep water for the crossing?.....are the stepping stones just slightly upstream from the Creag Dubh Hut not there any more? There was a dry feet crossing to get across the river...maybe now washed away. :)
The last few times that I have been to BEM I have traversed in to the water-slide from Lagangarbh and once came down from the Ridge descent and just wandered along the side of the river back to the motor.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gman » Sun May 14, 2017 10:17 am

gaffr wrote:The waist deep water for the crossing?.....are the stepping stones just slightly upstream from the Creag Dubh Hut not there any more?

It's a waist deep patch of bog just after the car park, the first time I returned with wellies on I confidently strode through it and ended up covered in mud to the waist. Didn't have a change of trousers but nobody was around so I took them off and waved them around to get rid of the mud and dry them out a bit, obviously this was when another car pulled in :lol: .
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

35 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland