walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumochter 4

Drumochter 4

Postby csimbad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21.8 km

Ascent: 1308m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at car park beside Balsporran Cottage 7.45pm and was off on up to Geal carn the first Munro of the day. Weather was perfect sunny with a fine cool light breeze, wasn't to long before I was at the summit taking in the veiw of Loch Erich on my approach to the 2nd munro of the day A' Mharconiach, here I passed another 2 walkers heading in the same direction but only doing 3 of them as they didn,t fancy the walk out along the A9. Again it wasn't to long before Iwas on the summit again taking a few pics and off to Beinn Udlamain the 3rd munro of the day where again I passed the same guys as they heading for Beinn Udlamain then onto A' Mharconiach, was looking forward to getting onto the last 2 as could see that the veiws were excellent. Was delighted with the veiws as this was pretty much what I was getting the last time I was up that direction and my camera decided not to work. Anyway after a few more pics on the summit I was off on down to cross over to Sgairneach Mhor the final munro of the day catching a glimpse of quite a few deer. Once on the summit I decided to have a bite to eat and look for a better way out, I had been looking at other reports which all lead back down to the A9 which I didn't fancy so I could see faint paths across from me between A' Mharconiach and An Torc so it was decided I headed on down and started a short climb on up between the 2, the path was quite faint once at he top and a bit boggy but I was soon back onto a track taking me out beside the power station and onto the path along the A9 back to the car park reackon that saved me a good bit of time rather than heading directly straight back down to the A9. A pretty good walk on a nice day. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP1281.JPG
Balsporran cottage
IMGP1289.JPG
Lookig back at Balsporran cottage
IMGP1295.JPG
IMGP1296.JPG
Approaching Geal carn summit
IMGP1299.JPG
IMGP1300.JPG
Loch Erich
IMGP1301.JPG
Geal carn summit
IMGP1302.JPG
IMGP1309.JPG
IMGP1310.JPG
IMGP1314.JPG
A'Mharconaich summit
IMGP1319.JPG
IMGP1324.JPG
Beinn Udlamain summit
IMGP1330.JPG
IMGP1340.JPG
IMGP1347.JPG
Sgairneach Mhor summit
IMGP1350.JPG
IMGP1353.JPG
IMGP1357.JPG
IMGP1360.JPG
IMGP1358.JPG
Path taken between A'Mharconaich and An Turc
IMGP1365.JPG
IMGP1367.JPG
IMGP1369.JPG
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland