walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair

Beinn Chabhair

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 26/07/2011

Distance: 14 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My walking buddy is recovering from a badly broken ankle (which involved being air lifted from remote spot in Cairngorms - that's another story) and felt 18k climbing Sgurr Thuilm (which we did recently) was a bit far at this stage in its recovery. So why we agreed to climb Beinn Chabhair yesterday I'm not quite sure... We had this idea of a nice little hill down Crianlarich way and got a bigger hill day than we expected!

We parked at the Drover's Inn which obligingly allowed us to use its facilities which meant passing various stuffed creatures in the darkened foyer. The place has quite a medieval feel about it.

DSC02062-large-small.jpg

We walked obediently round the camp site, intrigued to see bare-legged campers wearing midge helmets - maybe it's just their faces they don't like having bitten. We also noted the presence of the bar on the site which later featured urgently in our thinking as we slithered back down that horrible path. It wasn't much fun going up but coming down with an injured ankle was an uncomfortable experience with high bracken on either side allowing no alternative route.

The Beinglas Falls offered a welcome respite from heaving ourselves up loose gravel in the hot sun.

DSC02069-large-small.jpg

There are two stiles to cross. This is the second one with the path going on up the hill behind. We were relieved to get out of the steep bracken section on to the open moor.

Hillwalks 2011 053-small.jpg

Handy little cairn to remind us this is the path to take on our way back.

DSC02074-large-small.jpg

Looking back along the path we followed up the north side of Ben Glas Burn - a delightful rippling burn with pools which looked inviting on such a warm day.

DSC02076-large-small.jpg

Most of the water in Moira's platypus had leaked and we couldn't risk her running out on a day like this so were glad the water in the burn looked clean. She drank it all and has so far come to no ill effects!

DSC02081-large-small.jpg

This fresh green patch beside the burn was full of wild flowers including purple orchids.

DSC02077-large-small.jpg

Beinn Chabhair ahead.

Hillwalks 2011 056a-small.jpg

Lochan Beinn Chabhair about which we were helpfully told if we could see it before we turned off the path we would know we should already have turned off the path!

DSC02083-large-small.jpg

This flat section wasn't as boggy as it might have been thanks to a couple of dry sunny days but we still had to do some circumnavigating of thick black mud sections.

DSC02084-large-small.jpg

As we climbed up on to the ridge a hind and calf had a close look at us before loping off.

DSC02087-large-small.jpg

The ridge is attractive with its twisting path and tiny lochans.

DSC02088-large-small.jpg

DSC02089-large-small.jpg

Not being sure how much further it was to the summit and whether it was wise to continue Moira suggested I go on ahead.

DSC02090-large-small.jpg

DSC02092-large-small.jpg

Beinn Chabhair's summit cairn.

DSC02093-large-small.jpg

The ridge leading to the top.

DSC02094-large-small.jpg

View of Ben Lomond from the top.

DSC02096-large-small.jpg

Beinn Mor, Cruach Ardrain and Stob Binnean.

DSC02097-large-small.jpg

Seeing me reach the top from further along the ridge M decided she'd come too far not to bag this one.

DSC02100-large-small.jpg

Well done that ankle!

DSC02101-large-1-small.jpg

That's a bit of the A82 down there and presume that pointed peak is Ben Lui.

Hillwalks 2011 068-small.jpg

Contemplating hills in every direction.

Hillwalks 2011 071-small.jpg

Meall nan Tarmachan's knobbly lumps and bumps. It's very different terrain from what we have up here.

DSC02103-large-small.jpg

DSC02104-large-small.jpg

It felt a long way back. I got a couple of cleg bites going down the path to the camp site so had to put my fleece on even though it was still very warm. We certainly appreciated the J2Os with ice we had in the camp site bar before the long drive back up the road to Inverness. It was a more challenging day than we expected - but a wonderful hill and fabulous weather.
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Beinn Chabhair

Postby Steve B » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Nice report. Good pictures too. Thanks for the detail on what seems to be one of the ones just to tick off.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Excellent report and some great pictures. Have just posted my report on the same hill from a couple of weekends ago. Seems you had by far the better weather for this one, although I couldn't grumble when I was up there :D It's a good little walk isn't it 8) :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Just read yours Pete and agree about that waist high bracken - got mixed up in it around the falls on the way down. Other thing I noticed was how much more water was in waterfall when you were there. No wonder burn was difficult to cross!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland