walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen from East

Mount Keen from East

Postby mackieonthemove » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 21/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all

I bagged my first Munro back in April, Mount Keen the most easterly Munro.

I started off at the car park at invermark lodge and walked through the glen to the queens well. This was a peaceful 45 mins walk really easy going. I then started the ascent which was quite steep but levelled off once you get about half way up, as this was my first munro and my fitness levels are prob not at their best the climb from the base to the summit was around 2 hours.
Unfortunately though as I reached the summit the fog started coming in so by the time I reached the top visability was down to around 10 - 20 metres - but nevermind munro no 1 ticked off none the less.
I then returned by the same route. Although fog came in near the top weather was perfect up until then - not blazing sunshine and not rain and views were stunning. total walk time from car park and back again was 5 hours 45 mins which I think is really slow compared with some of the times it takes more experienced walkers but you have got to start somewhere

if anyone would like to see a small video from my walk just click on this youtube link

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66J6I1th1FI[/youtube]
Last edited by mackieonthemove on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mackieonthemove

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Mount Keen from East

Postby IainG » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Cracking video!!! Brilliant :D :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland