walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cul Mor - a grand outing

Cul Mor - a grand outing

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:47 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Mòr

Date walked: 20/07/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having driven passed the iconic peaks of Assynt numerous times and so far having only walked up Stac Pollaidh (well most of the way anyway!) we decided the time had come to wind our way up another one of those hills. We chose Cul Mor as it promised good path after a spell of heavy rain..... and it certainly delivered in every way! What a hill! The views are awesome and the hill itself has much to interest.
We walked up to Meallan Diomhain and then a couple of us followed the stream up to the col and the rest took the rocky ridge up to the south top. The views of Cul Beag, Stac Polliadh and over the sea to Sky and beyond were amazing and we could even pick out Mellon Udrigle beach. We stopped at the bealach for lunch and then sauntered up to the summit where the views of Suilven dominate and some low cloud came by to add some extra drama to the scenery. We then descended steeply north and eventually picked up our outward route again. We didn't walk out over the west top but it looked amazing with sandstone crags.
Definitely a hill worth visiting but save it for a clear day - the views of Assynt are amazing and also the views back in land towards Knockan Crag, Seana Bhraigh, Beinn Dearg, the Fannichs and An Teallach. We couldn't see Ben More Assynt area so well due to lower cloud in the NE.
Here are the pics but they don't really do it justice.
IMG_1174.jpg
The path and view back to Knockan Crag

IMG_1177.jpg
Approaching the summit of Meallan Diomhain

IMG_1180.jpg
The north and south tops

IMG_1184.jpg
Sandstone by the burn

IMG_1189.jpg
View from South top over the west top

IMG_1190.jpg
The summit

IMG_1198.jpg
Cul Beag

IMG_1202.jpg
Stac Polliadh

IMG_1205.jpg
The Minch

IMG_1207.jpg
Up the coast to Stoer lighthouse

IMG_1209.jpg
Below the south top

IMG_1211.jpg
Closer view of Cul Beag

IMG_1216.JPG
Looking back to the South top from the summit

IMG_1221.JPG
And again!

IMG_1225.jpg
Suilven

IMG_1232.JPG
The steep descent to Coire Gorm

IMG_1239.jpg
Sron Gharbh from Coire Gorm

IMG_1253.JPG
View over Knockan Crag to Seana Braigh and Beinn Dearg

IMG_1269.JPG
Orchid by the main path close to the road

IMG_1283.JPG
View of Cul Mor from the south west on the minor road south from Lochinver after purchasing our pies!

Cul Mor looks so different from the west side with Sron Garbh dominating and the south top and summit looking insignificant.
A good walk made a grand one by the spectacular scenery! :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain-ju-drop on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Re: Cul Mor - a grand outing

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Good stuff, it's a great hill in one of best parts of the country. Did it myself on a belter of a day back in May.

I'm guessing the route on the map in your report isn't right? It has you dropping off near vertical cliffs from the summit N into Coire Gorm.
The usual route descending this direction would be following the ridge NE from summit veering E toward Meallan Diomhain then retracing your steps. Sorry if i'm wrong and you really did take the hard way down!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Fabulous scenery all round. Never been that far up and don't know when I will but I'm looking forward to it already. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:39 pm

HighlandSC wrote:Good stuff, it's a great hill in one of best parts of the country. Did it myself on a belter of a day back in May.

I'm guessing the route on the map in your report isn't right? It has you dropping off near vertical cliffs from the summit N into Coire Gorm.
The usual route descending this direction would be following the ridge NE from summit veering E toward Meallan Diomhain then retracing your steps. Sorry if i'm wrong and you really did take the hard way down!

:oops: My mistake! Obviously my map reading and general sense of direction need a bit of work! Thanks for putting me right - altho I have to say it did feel near vertical at the time even if it wasn't!!! :lol:

Tried to add a new route, slightly more based in reality, but now seem to have lost the map parts - probably for the best!!
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby soulminer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Cracking report on a splendid mountain 8) Did not get the views you did, but that's not to say I won't when I do it again :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 pm

mountain-ju-drop wrote:
HighlandSC wrote:Good stuff, it's a great hill in one of best parts of the country. Did it myself on a belter of a day back in May.

:oops: My mistake! Obviously my map reading and general sense of direction need a bit of work! Thanks for putting me right - altho I have to say it did feel near vertical at the time even if it wasn't!!! :lol:

Tried to add a new route, slightly more based in reality, but now seem to have lost the map parts - probably for the best!!

:) The new, correct map has appeared at the bottom of your report. I think if you click to edit the report there will be a button to remove the old map.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Cul more and Cul Beag look to be really impressive when viewed fro Stac Polly's summit. Nice series of pics and report.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dooterbang » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 pm

A grand outing indeed - great way to spend time with family.

Glad you got views.

Just love this area.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland