walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgritheall plus the 2 Corbetts

Beinn Sgritheall plus the 2 Corbetts

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Beinn nan Caorach

Date walked: 22/07/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1741m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been admiring Beinn Sgritheall from afar for quite a while so I was really pleased to be making the scenic journey from Shiel Bridge to Corran via Glenelg and Arnisdale on a wonderfully sunny day. Leaving the car at the Heritage Centre in Corran I walked a little way back towards Arnisdale before turning off down a track towards the hills. The way goes alongside the River Arnisdale until, on reaching a bridge, you turn left and head across a grassy expanse (no obvious path) towards the building at Achadh a' Ghlinne. Just above the building there is a bridge over the Allt Utha. Dense bracken obscures the path a bit here but if you continue uphill you reach a good track which contours round above the burn. Where the track goes off uphill I took a narrow path which continued on towards the foot of Beinn nan Caorach. I crossed below the waterfall and then climbed steeply up the broad south rdige of the hill. You can stay on the track which zigzags up the flanks of Beinn Clachach until it crosses above the waterfall if you want. At the summit of Beinn nan Caorach the way forward is pretty clear. A line of fence posts can be followed round on to Druim nan Bo via a broad grassy bealach. Then there is another steep climb, still following the fence posts, to the summit of Beinn na h-Eaglaise.
Ahead looms the exceedingly steep scree-covered (deep joy!) southeast ridge of Beinn Sgritheall. But first there is a steep rocky descent to the bealach. In the event there is a reasonable path which avoids a lot of the scree and boulders. As I was toiling upwards I heard a bark. No dog in sight though. And then she appeared, apparently all on her own. After investigating me closely she presented me with a lump of moss. I tossed it in the air and she caught it. This carried on for a while until I decided that I needed to get on with my walk. Eventually I reached the summit cairn and was eating my lunch when the dog appeared again and gave me another mossy present. The game continued for a time until we were joined by two walkers and another dog. By this time I had noticed that the moss-obsessed dog sported a search and rescue tag. Her name was Milly: you might have read about her in the Scottish Mountaineer. If ever I have an accident in the hills I hope she comes and finds me: she is a lovely dog (and I don't usually like dogs very much!).
The views of Skye, Rum and Eigg (not to mention Knoydart) across the bright blue sea were absolutely stunning. I really wished I hadn't lost my camera the previous day. It was difficult to tear myself away but,lunch over, I descended to the lochan just above the woods, climbed over the stile and then battled through the undergrowth to reach the road.
The walk back to Corran was enlivened by the reappearance of Milly who presented me with a stick this time. She hid in the ditch at the side of the road until I picked it up and threw it. Then she leapt out of the ditch and caught the stick and the process started all over again. Finally she wandered off to look for her companions and I completed the long hot walk to Corran. The day was rounded off with a visit to Sheena's Tea Hut (the very furthest house in Corran!) for a mug of tea and a scone.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Beinn Sgritheall plus the 2 Corbetts

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Nice report, shame about your camera, I hope you get it back, always enjoy seeing pictures of this area.
I think I have read about Milly, isn't her owner Heather, from Cairngorm MR?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Beinn Sgritheall plus the 2 Corbetts

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:45 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report, shame about your camera, I hope you get it back, always enjoy seeing pictures of this area.
I think I have read about Milly, isn't her owner Heather, from Cairngorm MR?

That's right - she is a brilliant dog.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland