walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor and my near death experience! (4&5)

Buachaille Etive Mor and my near death experience! (4&5)

Postby erin_niamh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:14 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 28/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was only 5 days since since I first saw the 'buch' and already I was on my way to climb this stunning mountain and bag its 2 munro's.

The forecast was light rain in the morning that would pass by midday and an 80% chance of clear views from the peaks :? :?

sounds good enough to me! :D

Parked the car at the layby at altnafeadh, put on my pink shorts :lol: and off we went at 11.45am

1. The path from the car park with the SMC hut at Lagangarbh.JPG

2. Left to curved ridge. right to coire na tulaich. which way should i go hmm.JPG

Not quite ready for the curved ridge, so we take a right and head for the corrie

3. think it will be a right turn! did somebody say this was easier.JPG

we begin the steep climb up the corrie which has a good path to begin with which we soon lose, find again, lose, find again....you get the picture. With the path lost again and no walking poles :shock: my hands are definately required today....and my knees :lol:

The first part of the climb was not easy but I did enjoy it, I suppose if it was easy it wouldn't be so special (keep telling yourself that Neil) :lol:

We had been walking/climbing for 1 hour and seemed to be making good progress :D

4. looking back down.JPG

but that wouldn't last long :lol:

5. looking whats still to be done.JPG

The WH report says, "unpleasantly loose scree" well I could add a few choice words to that description! :lol: This was difficult with no poles, 1 step forward 2 steps back springs to mind! Head down and kept going and soon enough I was passed the loose scree and ready for the next challenge.....and my near death experience! :shock:

The path was now non existent and looking up it looked more like a rock climb than a hill walk :D If Donnie hadn't been their I reckon I would have turned back thinking I had gone the wrong way! I enjoy a bit of a scramble, finding good hand and foot positions and pulling myself up, stopping now and again to enjoy the views as they improve with each step but when you grab a piece of the mountain and it crumbles in your hand :shock: put your foot on what looks like a secure rock and it gives way :shock: the fun goes for a moment!! I look all around and see no hope, I look down and its a steep fall, 1 wrong move and im dead!! :shock: Now im in fear of my life!

As i contemplate my next move, I look up and see Donnie is momentarily stuck as well, he could have probably got out of the situation more quickly if Teo wasn't all over him, licking every bit of sweat, trying to steal his poles and getting ready to jump on him which would have sent Donnie crashing down! Now this was a serious situation and I knew I should be trying to get Teo away to allow Donnie to make his next move but the more Donnie shouted at him the more Teo thought he was playing and I couldnt move for laughing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ....maybe you had to be their

Just as I tempted Teo away from licking Donnies head with a biscuit, we met 2 girls coming down who kindly informed us their was a path to our right (how did we not see it)??? So with my near death experience over and Donnie now at the top, I climbed over to the path and eventually reached the top (thanks girls you saved my life) ....well it felt like it at the time!!! :lol:

6. at last! now making our way to the first munro. Stob Dearg.JPG

With the hard work done, we now hoped the mist would clear and allow us to see the excellent views. A short pleasant walk along the ridge and Munro No.1 was in the bag :D

7. Neil at the summit of Munro No.1 of the day, Stob Dearg.JPG

8. a nice shelter at the summit.JPG

It took 2 hours from leaving the car to reach our first summit, no views :( but no wind :) so plenty of time to enjoy a roll and a cuppa.

Now time for Munro No.2

9. looking back down the corrie.JPG

10. Teo having a dip in the lochan.JPG

11. Neil at the summit of Stob na Doire.JPG

12. Neil at the summit of Stob Coire Altruim.JPG

A nice walk along the ridge, over a couple of tops and 2 hours since leaving Munro No.1, Munro No.2 was in the bag :D

13. Neil at the summit of Munro No.2 of the day, Stob na Brioge.JPG

The mist failed to clear :( but still some nice views when we dropped down a little

14. looking towards Black Water Dam.JPG

15. looking back towards the ridge.JPG

Now for the descent...

16. Donnie & Teo on the road down.JPG

17. the steep descent.JPG

18. looking back up towards the ridge.JPG

Even Teo had to scramble here and when he lost his footing on a wet steep rock he was almost a goner!

19. where Teo almost died!.JPG

We did get glimpses of Ben Nevis...
20. The Ben is somewhere over their!.JPG

Some wildlife at last!!
21. the only wildlife of the day, a little frog.JPG

The descent now complete, a nice walk along the path back to the car and a battle with the midges!

22. 1 final look at the steep ascent down & the ridge.JPG

23. looking north up the A82.JPG

24. looking south.JPG

Looking back its hard to believe that I was up their! Visibility was poor but I still had a very enjoyable day, good bit of scrambling, nice ridge walks, 2 munro's in the bag, not to mention my near death experience (so i exaggerated a little but it makes for a better headline :lol: ) and I have a good excuse, if an excuse is needed to return another day!

25. ive just been up their! Neil & Teo with the corrie & the buch in the background.JPG

Where next????
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor and my near death experience! (4&5)

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Neil, great report. Your headline worked, had me reading every word. :)

Doesn't sound like fun at all, I guess if the mist had been that little bit higher you might have seen the path. I remember doing this one and also losing the path quite near the top of the coire but it was clear so I could easily pick it up again.

After that it sounds like you had a good day despite the views.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby erin_niamh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 pm

skuk007 wrote:Hi Neil, great report. Your headline worked, had me reading every word. :)

Doesn't sound like fun at all, I guess if the mist had been that little bit higher you might have seen the path. I remember doing this one and also losing the path quite near the top of the coire but it was clear so I could easily pick it up again.

After that it sounds like you had a good day despite the views.

to be honest it kind of added to the day, hardgoing at the time but did enjoy it, it was obviously never near death :lol: but fair to say the adrenalin was going at times!

would have been great views today i would have imagined :(
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby jwramsay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 pm

No 19 - Where Teo almost died

I did that descent on Sunday and had to be EXTREMELY careful at that big steep slabby bit - potentially very nasty indeed.

And I had to resort to taking some water from that Lochan Teo enjoyed so much! (I'm still alive!!)

It's a long walk indeed, thanks for sharing.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby courtscotties » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Loved reading your report - less sure about those shorts!
courtscotties
Backpacker

Munros:56   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland