walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day of pain on Ben Vane

A day of pain on Ben Vane

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 930m

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCF4334.JPG
The starting grid!

This is my first report on here so bare with me! :lol: I've heard a lot about Ben Vane from walkers whilst oot and aboot so I had a degree of trepidation doing this one but as you'll see from the pics, we couldn't have asked for a better day which didn't only make it enjoyable, has made it one of my favourite walks so far! Ben Vane has everything. :D
DSCF4418.JPG
The real start at the edge of Inveruglas

Anyway, we parked at Inveruglas car park on the Bonnie banks and I soon realised I had no idea where I was going!!! Got the map out and we soon realised we should cross the road towards the power station and walk south back towards the edge of Inveruglas
Having followed the walkers path for about 1km to the edge of the village you'll come across a tarmac road on the right which has a gate (see pic) which is essentially the start of things. Head up here and keep going for about another 1.5km staying on the tarmac and resisting any temptation to deviate from this path. A'Chrois (Corbett) is the first hill you'll see. You'll eventually come to a sub station on the left hand side...............with a road heading off to the right. Keep left here and continue the march!
DSCF4413.JPG
Keep left here and keep going. Ben Vanes the big one in front of you, A'Chrois the one on the left! (I didn't know this at the time!!!..............Ime's the big one in the background (I did know that at the time!!!)

You'll shortly (after about 1km) come across another junction leading off the tarmac to the left with a bridge leading onto forestry commission track. Cross the bridge and follow the path up.
DSCF4405.JPG
Follow the path over the bridge

Follow the forrestry commission track for about 400 mtrs till you come across a small bridge type crossing with a path off to the right. This is the track leading you onto the hill itself.
DSCF4337.JPG
My map reader and tour guide for the day posing with his seniorita! That's the path you take on their right hand side.

From now on it's pretty straight forward but also pretty steep.
DSCF4343.JPG
Fag break at about 500mtrs. If I stop.........I smoke! View down Loch Lomond was spectacular today and check out the sky, it really is blue not grey afterall!

DSCF4344.JPG
Getting to fair height now but you can see the path winding and weaving it's way through the rocks.

The path takes you between all the rocky out-crops with no real problems to about 750mtrs.............I know this because I met a dude on his way down who told me I'd done the hardest part but there was a wee cliff I'd half to negotiate to get to the summit! (Wait a minute, I don't like heights so whats this cliff thing all about? :lol: He said I wouldn't miss it and indeed he was correct but it's not a cliff, it's a wee slab you need to cross but there's no problems with it, if you fall you'll only fall about 10ft not the 3000 I was now bricking myself about!!! :lol: Once over this little obstacle you're pretty much there (don't worry about this in the rain either by the way it really is no problem............remember I'm scared of heights, so if I can do it anyone can!) It's about 20mtrs to the top, where, as you'll see from the pics, the views were tremendous.
DSCF4358.JPG
That's me on the left. Hi!

DSCF4364.JPG
Lunch on top!............we stayed up here for 2 hours becuase the views were so good.

DSCF4368.JPG
Ben Lomond on the left, A'Chrois on the right.

DSCF4360.JPG
Ben Narnain and The Cobbler

DSCF4372.JPG
Me........being a knob!

DSCF4380.JPG
Ben Vorlich & Loch Sloy

After dicking about for a couple of hours up there, we decided we did have homes to go too and it may be a good idea to head back down. Incidentally I've found a pic of the rocky bit I was talking about earlier which you can have a look at below but honestly it's a piece of cake. :D
DSCF4383.JPG
The aforementioned rocky bit!

I don't know how to attach a map of our route, maybe one will appear automatically as it's the standard route from Inveruglas otherwise some kind soul may tell me how to attach one! :D
PS - Here's a wee bonus picture of Lock Lomond from Inveruglas I took when we got back to the car. Hope you enjoy Ben Vane as much as I did, although i think the weather had much to do with it!
DSCF4420.JPG
Ben/Loch Lomond
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Stuart Angus on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Re: A day of pain on Ben Vane

Postby MG1976 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi Stuart,

Congratulations on your first report. Nicely put together with some good pictures.
I've sent you a private message with a few pointers on adding your route file, but it's pretty straightforward.
I'm sure you'd be able to work out on your own. Anyway, I how the pointers help.

MG
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 pm

MG1976 wrote:Hi Stuart,

Congratulations on your first report. Nicely put together with some good pictures.
I've sent you a private message with a few pointers on adding your route file, but it's pretty straightforward.
I'm sure you'd be able to work out on your own. Anyway, I how the pointers help.

MG

Ah, I see.....got it! Thanks for the help MG1976 it was pretty straight forward but couldn't have done it without you. Cheers again. :D
Stuart Angus

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Nice first report Stuart, and a good selection of pics. Glad you liked this one, like you said it's got everything, well mostly! :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Cheers skuk007, glad you liked it.............hopefully my next ones will take a little less time now I've figured it all oot!!!! :lol:
Stuart Angus

Postby stevos82 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice report Stu. However, I can't believe you didn't include the 'Reservoir Vane' pic!

On the other hand, I'm glad you included photographic evidence showing who's responsible for destroying cairns at the top of Munros! :D

Stephen
stevos82
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Good first report Stuart. Great wee hill is Ben Vane, nice wee scrambles once you're past the mudbath 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Paul_Antonia » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:44 am

Good report mate. Love the pics, they show what a great time you had. Wish we'd had that weather when we did it although we got some great atmospherics with the clouds swirling around the neighbouring peaks, just couldn't see anything from the top. Now I know what we missed.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Rossco » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:00 am

Yeah same here, looks a decent view as well so good to see what I missed. :)

Nice one.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby JTweedie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Good report and I'm glad you showed the photo of the path off the A82 to get you started, I always wondered where the starting point was, I'm hoping to do Ben Vane this week if the weather doesn't turn bad - I read reports of heavy rain for today, but none to speak of in Glasgow - damn you weather reports!
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland