walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar

Lochnagar

Postby Akira » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 15/05/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Early start for my first Munro attempt. Sure we could have picked an easier one! I managed to sleep all the way to the car park in the "Disco".
When we arrived we met up with the rest of the crew and a very large Wolfhound who loved to run through the heather.
At the start of the the walk we encountered some large herds of deer, with a very large stag watching over the doe's.
The lower slopes we OK to walk on. An interesting "river" crossing had some getting their feet wet, but no-one fell.
On the way up there were still some patches of snow, but well off the path. As it got more rocky near the top I had to be helped by Russell, legs a bit short for some of the steps. The view of the loch was impressive, but the mountain top was shrouded in cloud.. Near the top it got cold and wet. Everyone, including Mum & Dad stopped to put on thier waterproof trousers and jackets.
Like everyone else when I reached "the top" I was looking to get some food inside me, only to learn we had a wee bit to go yet to reach the summit. Once there it was a bit cold to stop and eat, so we started the descent to try and find some sunshine and heat to enjoy our lunch.
We found some sunshine on the way down and had lunch. Was ready to eat! The way down was quite steep past the waterfall. Mum did really well, despite her knee. The walk back past Loch Muick was easy, due to the good pathway and before long we were back at the car park.
I had completed my first really long walk and first Munro.
What's next???

Akira
Akira
Walker

Munros:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland