walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ghabhar & Stob a'Choire Odhair - My best views so far!

Stob Ghabhar & Stob a'Choire Odhair - My best views so far!

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 26/07/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1189m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this route clockwise as I wasn't sure how I'd cope with the mini AE ridge, and wanted to get to summit of Stob Ghabhar for those views I'd read about....I wasn't disappointed... the views were breathtaking, and the ridge was short and sweet and actually very enjoyable. Cheers to Tenbob, who I met on the summit of Stob Ghabhar, for the big cheer on his descent when he seen I'd made it across :lol:

Parked up at Victoria Bridge Carpark, not a cloud in the sky, it was going to be a day to remember!!

Followed the short path from the carpark that joins the WHW, then over the bridge, left at the house, and past some signs which you don't want to see if you are doing the WHW :lol:
PICT0009.JPG
Carpark
PICT0138.JPG
Go left....life is peaceful there
PICT0014.JPG
Signs

Already the I'm in awe of the view
PICT0015.JPG
View ahead

Continue along the track and you get to a wee green hut, and the path you want is just past this at a pole with a strange attachment, possibly there was dwarf karaoke on the night before...
PICT0018.JPG
Green Hut
PICT0019.JPG
Dwarf Karaoke???
... and my first target is in front of me in all its glory
PICT0020.JPG
Stob Ghabhar

It's easy going to the split in the path, which isn't overly obvious, though most people would probably carry on to Stob a'Choire Odhair anyway. My path to the left leads down and across the Allt Toaig then heads up to a seriers of very nice waterfalls and pools, which I would imagine would be even more impressive in more normal Scottish summer weather!
PICT0029.JPG
PICT0042.JPG

From here, the views all around aint too shabby at all, with the Orchy Munros behind me, the Cruachan Munros to my left, and target number two on my right
PICT0044.JPG
Beinn an Dothaidh & Beinn Dorain
PICT0056.JPG
Cruachan Range
PICT0058.JPG
Stob a'Choire Odhair

As height is gained, the views just keep getting better and better, keeping you going as things get increasingly steep towards the summit
PICT0069.JPG
Stob Ghabhar summit & crags
PICT0070.JPG
Beautiful!
then you get a sneaky view North, which makes you almost want to sprint to the summit!!
PICT0074.JPG
Ooft!!

then a wee reminder that there could be trouble ahead, with the mini AE ridge still to come
PICT0075.JPG
Aonach Eagach

Then you reach the summit and WOW!!!!!! What a summit!!!
PICT0081.JPG
PICT0082.JPG
PICT0079.JPG

Unfortunately, the midgies were out in force and I didnt hang about the summit for long, but I will most definitely be back later in the year, hopefully under the same skies but without the pesky wee s****s!!! Retraced my steps down to AE with Tenbob who had just completed both Munros, he assured me the wee ridge was fine, tho there would be alot of loose scree on the descent off the ridge. At worst I'd say the exposure on the ridge itself was very mild, even managed to stop and take a few pics. The scree down the side of AE was alot more tricky, and care was needed descending this
PICT0086.JPG
Back to summit
PICT0088.JPG
The Ben over The Bookil
PICT0089.JPG
Ridge
PICT0090.JPG
Down to the Lochan
PICT0096.JPG
Cairn on top marks end/start of ridge
PICT0111.JPG
Scree slope

You get a great view of Stob a'Choire Odhair on the descent to the Bealach, and an idea of the substantial re-ascent to come
PICT0111.JPG
Scree slope

The ascent up Odhair is fairly straight forward on a good path, with great views over to Creise & Meall a'Bhuiridh. Once on the summit, Rannoch Moor stretches out for miles in front of you, and you get a great idea of the amount of water on its surface. Unfortunately, I've run out of attachments so can't post them :lol:

I stopped here for some sarnies and chocolate, reflecting on a truly magical wee day. This was by far the best solo day on the hills I've had, the views were better than anything I've seen before, (although I've seen on other reports on these two that the views from The Steall Hills is even better, so bring them on!!!)

Straightforward descent down the zigzag path which meets up with the path from Coire Toaig and then eventually meets up with the ascent path alongside the Allt Toaig. What a day!!!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Stob Ghabhar & Stob a'Choire Odhair - My best views so far!

Postby PeteR » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Great report and some amazing pictures :D 8) You certainly had a great day for it, with some amazing views :D Loved doing these hills when I did them and the views from Stob Ghabhar are just amazing 8) Did the mini AE ridge with snow, which was great fun 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Cheers Peter, the views in winter on a clear day must be phenomenal!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Some of the best photos and views I have seen. Thanks for sharing them :thumbup:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Cheers Rick, one I'd definitely recommend for a clear day. You just wouldn't want to miss those views
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby 147cjl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Stunning day and great pictures. I've seen the dwarf karoake poles on other walks and wondered what they were. Now I know :lol:
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 pm

I passed these hills last month when I doing the WHW. The weather was identical to yours- it was a hottie!!!

Brilliant clear photos and great report. I hope you're really chuffed with yourself, I notice your munro count is increasing a fair old rate :lol: :lol:

PS want to head back up there now, not for the hills .... just for the singing dwarves!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:17 am

147cjl wrote:Stunning day and great pictures. I've seen the dwarf karoake poles on other walks and wondered what they were. Now I know :lol:

Walking doesn't get much better than this! 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 am

pollyh33 wrote:I passed these hills last month when I doing the WHW. The weather was identical to yours- it was a hottie!!!

Brilliant clear photos and great report. I hope you're really chuffed with yourself, I notice your munro count is increasing a fair old rate :lol: :lol:

PS want to head back up there now, not for the hills .... just for the singing dwarves!!!

Can't wait to do the WHW, must have been awesome in weather like that!!

Your Munro count aint looking too shabby either, 22 is the magic number :lol:

I can't wait to get back up this one when its not swarming with the wee beasties, thats the midgies, not the dwarves :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Excellent set of photos lomondwalker
Thats a nice walk in superb weather. You didn't get a photo of the dwarfs though :D
monty

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:12 pm

monty wrote:Excellent set of photos lomondwalker
Thats a nice walk in superb weather. You didn't get a photo of the dwarfs though :D

:lol: Cheers Monty
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Loved this report, brought back memories from long ago :lol: Great photos aswell. I've got a Nikon D60 that I've now had for 3 years (was one of the lightest cameras) :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland