walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum

Ben Challum

Postby pinkmongoose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 850m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Challum is a hill that seems to have a reputation for being a little moist, so I thought that today might be the day for it, it having been dry recently.

Bus to Crianlarich. Given I was walking along the roadside (the verge is fine, but watch the traffic around the Glasgow t-junction), I decided a start before the standard Kirkton Farm was in order. Inverhaggernie farm is much nearer to Crianlarich, and one of the few crossing points on the railways and river. Inverhaggernie was easy to navigate. From the road, cross the railway and the river. At the farm, follow the obvious bridge left and the track leads alongside a pleasant stream under the (second) railway bridge. All very obvious.

I followed the well made track until shortly after it starts to peel away from Inverhaggernie Burn, after about 300m. At this point, a quad track heads N, which I followed, and fizzles out. From here, I headed more or less in a direct straight line towards the summit. This I imagine would be very soggy in wet conditions, but today was very pleasant, soft and bouncy. There was no path, and none needed. A fence after about 300m is a minor obstruction for those short of leg but wasn't electric.

I kept to crests where possible to avoid any wetter ground. At Creag Loisgte, I headed around the eastern side of the little col between the summit ridge and the small ridge around 680m, again, to avoid any wet. At this point, you encounter a line of fence posts (mind the flailing wire) which has a surprisingly good path all the way to the summit.

At the 998m peak, a path leads NW from the cairn across an easy gully to a small ridgelet. It is this ridge which leads down to the col and up to the 1025m peak. The ridge looks momentarily as if it might be scrambly and exposed, but isn't.

I returned by the same route (such as you can tell in the pathless heath).

Good views from the top of Glen Lochay, and in general, some nice opportunities for broadside Crianlarich Hills shots.

Not the most exciting Munro, but doesn't seem worthy of the low score it seems to get. One for better weather, probably.
pinkmongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:31   Islands:12

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland