walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Ogle and Corbett

Glen Ogle and Corbett

Postby pinkmongoose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lochearnhead by bus on a sunny Saturday. (BTW, not the date shown - date fail - was a few weeks back)

Passed by the church on the roadway up towards the cycle path. The cycle path zig-zags up the hill passed more orchids than I've seen in a long time, including butterfly orchids. Reached the flat part of the cycle path at c. 200m and passed through the gate to the left (the cycle route departs from the old railway at this point as you come south). A rough path (bordering on no path) leads NW up across a field to the right up towards Meall Reamhar. There's some forestry clearance gone on here but the going is easy.

From Meall Reamhar (followed the fence posts as I ascended the top of this) the going changed from grassy to a mixture of peat hags and what I call "bog 'n' tuffet" (grassy lumps in mossy ground, easy for turning ankles). The best bet here seemed to be to follow the line of the fence posts all the way to Meall Sgallachd, where they fizzled out. Every time I departed from them, I ended up back with them again.

The summit at 809m gives some good views and is nice and craggy.

I returned to the col west of Meall Sgallachd and decided I didn't fancy the boggy bits and had plenty of time. So instead struck NNE down the burn side more or less for about 1.5 km until the edge of the woods around Lochan Lairig Cheile. This was quite easy going but I imagine could get quite wet.

At the edge of the woods, I was a tantalising 200m or so from a proper woodland trail. The best bet would probably have been to go north around the woods. I decided to go through them. This was quite steep, bits of tree stuck out all over, and I found sticking to deer trails the best bet. It took a fair while to inch through the woods down to the woodland trail. At one point I encountered new planting, but this was only for a few meters.

The trail leads around the loch (but not that close to it - its margin was boggy) and comes out onto the A85. I returned by the old railway line to Lochearnhead.

Despite the easy location at Lochearnhead, there was no one on the mountain I recall seeing apart from me. Does nobody do Corbetts?
Last edited by pinkmongoose on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkmongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:31   Islands:12

Re: Glen Ogle and Corbett

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:02 pm

This is a really useful report. I've used that cyclepath a few times now and I'm thinking it would be great to combine some cycling with this walk- could be a smashing day out :D

Thanks for posting and I love your name :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glen Ogle and Corbett

Postby pinkmongoose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Haha, thanks. :) I've used the username for eek, nearly 20 years now, in various guises.

I'd actually recommend Meall an t-Seallaidh possibly above Creag McR, but that's not as easy to combine with Glen Ogle.
pinkmongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:31   Islands:12

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland