walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Camasunary coastal walk and Sgurr na Stri, Isle of Skye

Camasunary coastal walk and Sgurr na Stri, Isle of Skye

Postby JohnJoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sgùrr na Strì

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 9.1 km

Ascent: 781m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We set off along the path that leads directly from the car park just beyond Kirkibost. A section of the southern Cuillin came into view as we reached the top of Am Mam and descended to the bay at Camasunary. It was at this point that the least experienced of us revealed that he had only brought one can of coke to drink for a long walk on a sunny day.

We crossed the beach and had to walk upstream to find a place to cross the river so we could join the coastal path on the other side. Despite commenting on how far out the tide was, we forgot that tides also come in; we would be reminded of this later on.

Photo0059.jpg

Photo0061.jpg

After crossing the river we joined the coastal path and continued round the headland with wet feet. There are various points at which the path diverges, and we chose a route that led straight to a big drop into the sea. Not being confident about jumping across it, we walked up the hill to find a better path.

As we continued, the southern Cuillin again came into view. The visibility was excellent, and even the reflection of the mountains in the water was probably a better view of these peaks than I'd ever seen before. I kept looking up to Sgurr na Stri on my right, because I knew that from the top of that I would be able to see the whole of Cuillin ridge and Loch Coruisk. I also kept glancing behind me at my desperately unfit companion, who was clearly struggling. Not wanting to miss this chance, I suggested that he had a rest by the sea whilst I climbed up to the top. Our other friend decided to stay with him, and I set off, dumping my rucksack about a quarter of the way up and continuing with just a camera phone, a walkie-talkie, and a bottle of coke.

Photo0068.jpg

Photo0072.jpg

It was pretty hard going because it was very steep and there was no path. The grassy section was longer than it looked, and after about 30 minutes I began to feel quite light-headed as my friends informed me over the radio that I was still a long way from the top.

Photo0074.jpg

I narrowly avoided stepping on a snake just as I reached the higher, rocky section, which was also a lot longer than it looked from 400 meters away. I pushed on and reached the final horizon, running up the last part like an excited schoolboy as I reached the very top. The most spectacular view suddenly opened out in front of me; I could see the entire Cuillin ridge, Loch Coruisk, and the corries which give way to Glen Sligachan. It was absolutely stunning.

Photo0078.jpg

Photo0091.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

I spent about half an hour at the top. I had to fight the urge to manically take photographs. Then over the very crackly walkie-talkie came the news that one of my companions had managed to twist his ankle whilst resting. I reluctantly decided that I should leave, and I started to climb down.

I soon realised that I was coming down by a different route. I was in a gully, which required lowering myself down drops and paying constant attention to the rocks sliding from beneath my feet - I was glad that there was no one behind me to start a rock slide. It took about an hour to get down, and I eventually rejoined my friends after spending a while searching for my rucksack which was a very similar colour to the rocks.

Photo0108.jpg

Photo0104.jpg

Photo0101.jpg

When I tried to describe the view I had seen from the top, my uninjured friend decided to walk a bit further along the coastal path past Rubha Buidhe, as we knew that it would be possible to see much further into the Cuillin and Loch Coruisk just around the corner. He was not disappointed, and returned after 20 minutes raving about what he'd seen with a big grin on his face!

We returned along the outward route. When we reached Camasunary, we found that the tide had come in and we had to walk much further up the river in order to cross it. For a while I really thought we might have to swim it, but that would have been the last straw for our exhausted, hobbling colleague (who is also a poor swimmer) and we eventually found a place shallow enough to ford the river. We crossed the bay via the house - and swarms of midges and flying ants - and climbed up Am Mam again and then back down to the car.

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0114.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Photo0081.jpg
Last edited by JohnJoe on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Camasunary coastal walk and Sgurr na Stri, Isle of Skye

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Absolutely stunning pics of The Cuillins & Loch Coruisk!!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby headless spectre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Walked same sort of route three years ago, following the footpath past the 'bad step' to the Loch and then returning. Crossing the river was a real nightmare, even though it had been dry the river in march was freezing, the stones in the river were slippery and without walking poles to steady yourself very unpleasent. On the way out I went barefoot and on the return I decided it was safest in my boots even if they did get soaked.
The bad step was much more fun,it seemed much harder returning than on the outward journey.
Great pictures, and great weather.
Attachments
scotland 043.JPG
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1

Postby JohnJoe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Yes it's a shame i didn't get to do the Bad Step - another reason to go back again!
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 am

Wow!!

Some wonderful views you got - lucky bastardos :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland