walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An excellent 2 days in the Cairngorms

An excellent 2 days in the Cairngorms

Postby csimbad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Bynack More, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 29/07/2011

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 56.3 km

Ascent: 3974m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A perfect start to my holidays, (Day 1) dropped of by the wife and kids at the car park 9am with excellent weather so was off like a shot as the midgie's were on the attack. I headed up in the direction of Cairn Lochan to take a right turn to Creag an Leith-choin to get back down to Lairig Ghru and on to the path leading to Braeriach. Once on to the path I started meeting quite a few others heading for Braeriach summit but soon passed once at Sron na Lairige as they were taking a break. Finally reaching the summit it felt like had took ages but it was well worth it as I couldn,t believe the how good the weather was and the views were spectacular so I was straight off to the Angels peak next as I couldn,t wait to get round there. By this time it was heating up a good bit and of course I took everything apart from the sun cream with me but thankfully once on the summit of Angels peak it had cooled down a bit. It was quite busy at the summit so I carried on to Cairn Toul, the view at the summit was excellent so decided to have a bite to eat and admire the view for a while. It was then to Devils point where on the summit I decided to rather than camp at the Corrour Bothy to head up Carn a' Mhaim, legs were getting a bit tired at this point but got up eventually to drop the bag and head up to the summit to take a few snaps and head back down just before the climb up the side of Ben Macdui to set up camp for the night at 8pm. So made the tea and got the head down, not to bad a night slept pretty good apart from getting up at 4am. (Day 2) 4am I took a peak outside and couldn,t see much due to low cloud so I was back in the sleeping bag for a couple more hours to waken to another glourious day so put the breakfast on packed up the gear and was off to Derry Cairngorm at 7am it was roasting when I got to the summit and thought I would take the t-shirt off as there was a little breeze, bad mistake I,ve never experienced a swarm of midge like that before and was running down the side off Derry Cairgorm like a shot nasty little gits. I headed towards Sgurr an Lochan Uaine and took a very faint path down, not the best route but got down to Glen Derry to carry on up the path to Fords of Avon Refuge and on to Bynack More. Took a while but finally got to the summit nackered so took a good rest before a long walk out which would take me out at the Reindeer centre 4pm. An absolute belter. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP1399.JPG
Cairn Toul up ahead
IMGP1400.JPG
The view down from Lurchers crag
IMGP1425.JPG
Carn a' mhaim on the right, Dedils point and Cairn Toul on the left
IMGP1440.JPG
Braeriach summit
IMGP1442.JPG
IMGP1452.JPG
Looking back at Angels peak
IMGP1456.JPG
Ben Macdui
IMGP1457.JPG
Cairn Toul summit
IMGP1463.JPG
Devils point
IMGP1467.JPG
Lairig Ghru
IMGP1472.JPG
Corrour bothy
IMGP1480.JPG
Carn a' Mhaim summit
IMGP1483.JPG
Looking over from Carn a' Mhaim summit to Devils point
IMGP1488.JPG
IMGP1499.JPG
The spectacular view in the morning from Sron Riach
IMGP1508.JPG
Derry Cairngorm summit
IMGP1513.JPG
The way down I took form Derry Cairngorm
IMGP1514.JPG
Glen Derry
IMGP1519.JPG
IMGP1520.JPG
Fords of Avon refuge
IMGP1525.JPG
Bynack More summit
IMGP1528.JPG
The path out fro Bynack More
Attachments
IMGP1506.JPG
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: An excellent 2 days in the Cairngorms

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 am

Enjoyed your report and excellent pics of my favourite part of Scotland. Surprised to hear about midges on Derry Cairngorm. That's been a monster walk - you must have been on the Red Bull.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby malky_c » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 am

Looks like a great circuit, and nice weather too! Slightly envious of your high camp - looks like it paid off much better than camping by Corrour. That would have been a midge hell I'm sure.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby csimbad » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks Border Reiver, yes its great up there enjoyed every minute of it apart from the midges that is was suprised to see them up Derry Cairngorm myself. I was nackered after that walk though the extra weight took a bit of getting used to, think I maybe took to much will know next time. :D
Border Reiver wrote:Enjoyed your report and excellent pics of my favourite part of Scotland. Surprised to hear about midges on Derry Cairngorm. That's been a monster walk - you must have been on the Red Bull.
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:32 am

Cheers Malky C, Yes the weather was fantastic to hot at times, glad I pushed on for the high camp it was a perfect spot no noise what so ever. This was my first solo overnighter so I don't think it could have been any better well chuffed. :D
malky_c wrote:Looks like a great circuit, and nice weather too! Slightly envious of your high camp - looks like it paid off much better than camping by Corrour. That would have been a midge hell I'm sure.
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby Steve B » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 am

Good route, report and some great pictures. Well done.
How was the water supply when you are high up there. Is there much descent to find a source?
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby csimbad » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks Steve B, Yes there's plenty of water about thankfully as I was constantly filling up due to the heat think the first was round just before climbing Devils point then side of Ben Macdui where I camped for the night, my approach to Derry Cairngorm and then I was back down on Glen Derry so every water point was pretty much on route. :)
Steve B wrote:Good route, report and some great pictures. Well done.
How was the water supply when you are high up there. Is there much descent to find a source?
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Good one, thats the way to do the Cairngorms and you got the weather.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Stunning stuff. Can't believe the views, especially the scary ones down through the gullies!!!

Fantastic report :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby skuk007 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Excellent report and great pictures, well done on your first solo overnighter, must have been a wee bit scary.
Missed Macdui out? Guessing you've done it already. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gagfax » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm

That was a long trek. A great area for camping in. :D
gagfax

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Did you see a flash over by Cairn Toul at about 2045? My camera went off as I was taking my photo of the reindeer. We were probably camping at the same level but separated only by a valley....awww.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby soulminer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Enjoyed reading that :) great weather you had,great pictures you took 8)
Hope mid Sept brings similar weather as I hope to be in that same area for a couple of days/nights with the Chaos Collies.
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 am

The sort of trip to live long in the memory - cheers for sharing :D . Hope the midges weren't half as bad as Glen Affric that weekend :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby csimbad » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Cheers Johnny C, was hoping for another night for 3 more munros, wife said no.
csimbad
Munro compleatist

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland