walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Macleods Tables

Macleods Tables

Postby canisp » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm

Route description: Macleod's Tables

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Healabhal Bheag, Healabhal Mhor

Date walked: 18/12/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Macleod's Tables from start of walk.jpg
From the car, parked at Grid Reference 253460, i headed south southwest and splashed across the Osdale river at 249454. The going was easy over short grass at first, and the route to Healabhal Mhor obvious. The map gives the impression of a craggy hill, i was surprised at how grassy it was. The one wide crag was turned on the left, and the summit reached in about 2 hours. The views are good in all directions, especially the Western Isles. I walked round the summit, then headed south southwest straight for Beinn a Chapuill, there was no problem getting down this side, there is a wide gap between the crags. A little rough going lower down, but worth it as Beinn a Chapuill, was the best viewpoint of the day.
Macleod's table north from Beinn a' Chapuill.jpg

A short rest then on to 218429, the bealach between these tops was quite boggy. Carried on southeast picking a way up the steep slope to Healabhal Bheag, there were good views in all directions, the best view being Loch Bracadale. Following a faint path northeast i shortly came upon near vertical crags, backtracked a few mtrs then headed north and found a way through steep but not dangerous ground. There was no path now, i could see a white building at GR 249459 and so headed straight for it, a good marker. A little rough going, and tired legs didn’t help, but a pleasant enough walk back following the river. About 12 km distance and 800 mtrs of ascent.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Macleods Tables

Postby bio-man » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:08 am

I'd never heard of these, they look so out of place for Scotland, almost as though they should be in Arizona or similar. Very impressive though. I'm hopefully going to Skye in summer, so will give them a go. Good pics
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:10 am

Bioman - I promise you once you've hiked the bogs to the Tables they will seem less like the dry deserts of Arizona :lol:

They are a good outing for something a bit different though, and great views if the weather is good.

Here's Cameron McNeish's video of walking the Tables, the same way round as canisp and the opposite way to the walk description:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Kf82pqNTc[/youtube]
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bio-man » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Hah!! see what you mean, will still have a go though
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby kinley » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Doing a bit of archive archeology and found this report.

Nice to see a report on these - we walked out to Idrigill Point but never did the Tables. A walk for another day. 8)
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland