walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jack Flap; Pastrami Tongues; and Monsters

Jack Flap; Pastrami Tongues; and Monsters

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 05/08/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 955m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So the Monsters are back out in the hills; destination Bynack More in the Cairngorms... Not the hardest walk they've done, but definitely the longest; number 5 for them; 13 for Mum; and 124 for me... It's all smiles at the off @ Glenmore Lodge...

IMG_9182.jpg
Blue Monster...

IMG_9184 (1).jpg
Green Monster...

Weather conditions were changeable and after a fairly rapid first 6 km it was pleasing to turn round and watch the soaking we'd missed... Of course we would pay our dues, but no matter...

IMG_9191.jpg
Missing the Rain...

There was no messing about today; the Monsters were in training and in a shade under 2 1/2 hours they'd made the summit and it was blowing a hooney so to speak... Still, two happy Monsters on the summit of Bynack More...

IMG_9199.jpg
The Monsters on the Summit...

Some good looking summit views; through partial cloud which was hammering across the scene...

IMG_9205.jpg
Summit View...

And some more views...

IMG_9212.jpg
Another Summit View...

Time for a spot of lunch; as ever a beer, but we're into having a good time in the mountains and nicknames are a bit of a thing; Flap Jack soon transpired into me becoming Jack Flap for the day... And I probably shouldn't tell you Mum was named Fanny Flap... How we laughed... :lol: :lol:

IMG_9224.jpg
Meet Jack Flap...

And that was before we showed off our tongues... Oh imagine what I can do with this... :lol: :lol:

IMG_9221.jpg
So this is why she loves me... :)

Sam 'No Pain No Gain' decided to try a bit of surfing on the summit rocks; looking pretty cool I think...

IMG_9240.jpg
Surfing Bynack More...

And then we were off; fairly nippy at the top to say the least, so we didn't hang about...

IMG_9253.jpg
Descent View...

I told the Monsters that Santa kept his Reindeer in the Cairngorms; so we had to go and find them... As I raised my palm to my head I couldn't resist it... 'Looks like Rain Dear' I said... Oh the old classics... :lol:

IMG_9351.jpg
Looks like Rain Dear...

And before long Fanny Flap was gaining courage and thought she'd sneak up on Rudolph; poor startled Rudolph was a little scared; but it was Fanny who was jumping out of her skin when old Rudolph went on a charge...

IMG_9347.jpg
Mummy Startled the Reindeer; but look Rudolph laughed last...

So the Monsters longest walk; over 20 km in 5 hours at an average moving speed of 4.8 km; okay easy ground; and not too much ascent but they slaughtered everyone on the hill today with happy smiles as we passed folk on the descent that we'd overtaken on the ascent... Go Monsters...

More importantly; as ever we had fun... :D

The Stats...

IMAG1431.jpg
The Stats...

And the Route... Until next time...

2011 - 08 - 05 - Bynack More.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Jack Flap; Pastrami Tongues; and Monsters

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:31 pm

I think Paul is going to offer the option of ''do you think this report is bloody amazing and always makes me smile'' with big thumbs up!! Great is so inadequate for your 'monster' reports!!!

Smashing, smashing, smashing :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:33 am

Love it - but getting scared as that one brings the monsters uncomfortably close to home :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Cuil Lodair » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi,

It's a shame you always seem to be in such a rush, as you appear to have passed and missed The Green Lochan which is on your route, just about 1.5k from Glenmore Lodge.

Also, the Barns of Bynack (and Little Barns) were merely half a kilometer or so further on from the summit. When you are already so close to them, these really huge rocks are fantastic features of the landscape and are fun places to visit. I have been there a couple of times and will definitely return to them again. Perhaps worth another journey for you too?
Attachments
P6200067.JPG
Barns of Bynack.
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

pollyh33 wrote:I think Paul is going to offer the option of ''do you think this report is bloody amazing and always makes me smile'' with big thumbs up!! Great is so inadequate for your 'monster' reports!!!

Thanks Polly; they're good Monsters; and we always seem to have fun; and be silly; life's too short not to be... Glad it made you smile; and we did laugh a lot on this jaunt... :D

Paul Webster wrote:Love it - but getting scared as that one brings the monsters uncomfortably close to home :shock:

Don't suppose you know the troll under the bridge; oh yes the Monsters don't linger on the bridge for very long... :lol:

Cuil Lodair wrote:Hi,

It's a shame you always seem to be in such a rush, as you appear to have passed and missed The Green Lochan which is on your route, just about 1.5k from Glenmore Lodge.

Also, the Barns of Bynack (and Little Barns) were merely half a kilometer or so further on from the summit. When you are already so close to them, these really huge rocks are fantastic features of the landscape and are fun places to visit. I have been there a couple of times and will definitely return to them again. Perhaps worth another journey for you too?

Hi, the Green Lochan was having a 'blue' day; it did look inviting; we were tempted to hoist the monsters in for a swim but they ran away at the threat... Up top it was pretty chilly with strong and cold winds; we were all freezing after our 20 minute lunch stop; so I wanted to get the monsters warmed up quickly; perfect days to work on the fitness; plus I'd promised them a trip to see Santa's Reindeer (very exciting for the youngsters) so had to crack on... It is a nice landscape though; reminded me very much of the Granite Tors on Dartmoor where I grew up... I doubt I'll return to this one personally; but never say never; and it's always good to see different places... :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:31 am

Good report andrew gave me a laugh reading it. These monsters will soon have there munros complete
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby aimeequicks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Your monsters are very smiley and happy! It is always good to see kids enjoying the hills. I am usually the purple faced woman they overtake.
Aimee
aimeequicks
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland