walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

EPIC BEINN A'BHEITHIR

EPIC BEINN A'BHEITHIR

Postby blueyed » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

we have always planned to do some hillwalking in glencoe, but we kept postponing it for couple of years actually. always some closer or more attractive (is it possible at all???) mountain or place came up. and every time we drove thru glencoe we always stopped just to admire the high and rocky mountains around. for me, glencoe is one of those places that seems to have some magic, that moves my hearts.
finaly we made our plans come true, in july during the 2.5 weeks we climbed 6 munros in glencoe, two each trip. you have already seen pictures from bidean nam bian, now beinn a'bheitir and next is going to be buachaille etive beag.
but lets concentrate on beinn a'bheithir now. it was a great 9 hrs walk.

amongst all the options of climbing it we chose the most difficult one - it was detailed in the 'munros' book. the difference between this one and the one from walkhighlands is that we climb up the 'second' ridge (scrambling involved) and not the first one just behind the school, therefore we tackled sgorr bhan and not beinn bhan.

the day was great, not a single cloud for the whole day, no wind whatsoever. our route included some scrambling therefore we had a little bit of everything -rocks, grassy slopes & bog :)

so lets start. we left the car at the visitor centre car park and followed direction specified on this website untill we reached the school. WH's walk starts here. we decided to follow the other route therefore we continued ahead for about 1 km untill we reached the gate with stile and a signpost to glen creran. we passed the gate and from the description in 'munros' book we knew we were supposed to tackle the ridge a little bit 'from behind'. i was sure that we will actually see some cairn or some other mark to let us know where to leave the path and start climbing up. we had some trouble to locate the exact place where we were supposed to leave the path and start climbing up. no cairns, although book never mentioned any i was hoping for one :( we decided to come back a wee bit and try there... we found a faint path (just at the stream) which we followed, definitely it looked used by some walkers but it soon dissapeared. there was a couple who walked behind us and they started the climb up just after crossing the stiles, they walked along the fence for some time but then suddenly they appeared on another side of ridge and i'm not sure whether they followed some kind of path or they were just looking for a good place to climb up, just like us...

beata looking for some clues :)

i took this pic before we started climbing up, we were still on the 'main path', here you go - 'our' ridge to the left, to the right is beinn bhan, the way that WH recommends.

as i said, the path was very faint at start, then it dissapeared and we had to wade thru all sorts of hillside plants. but after about 15mins we crossed something that looked like a path again and we decided to stick with it. the path then turned into a well defined track and we were 'sorted' :)

looking up towards sgorr bhan

and looking down to balachullish, loch leven, mamores and The Ben.

the rocky bit just before us

the ridge walk was straight forward, with some scrambling. nothing too tricky and nothing too exposed. i marked 3 steps or shelves as you prefer that required some more attention

and some more scrambling, which actually was a great fun :)

here we are, rocky bit passed

we managed to the top of sgorr bhan within 3 hrs, taking our time and enjoying the sunshine
views were spectacular

and bidean nam bian looked just massive

we left sgorr bhan and walked towards the first munro of the day - sgorr dhearg

from sgorr bhan to sgorr dhearg is about 15mins walk

the summit of sgorr dhearg

and even more fantactic views!

and with our next destination - sgorr dhonuill

from the col between the two munros looking towards sgorr dhearg

and looking towards sgorr dhonuill

there is about 30 mins walk from the col to the summit of sgorr dhonuill.
the summit is just w wee scramble away!

sgorr dhonuill - the summit

looking back towards sgorr dhearg

and fantactic views again

to morvern, lismore and isle of mull

what?!?!?! i'm not going down yet!!!

from sgorr dhonuill we walked down to the coll and down to the gleann a'chaolais. the walk down was a long one. at first pretty steep, then pretty boggy. but when we reached the forest the path turned into a great stony track and was really nice. actually in that forest we had the first shade that day, all those hours up the hills we've been frying on the sun :) lovely!
we came down to the other car park and from there we would have a loooong walk back to the visitor centre but, it was our lucky day, we got a lift from fellow walkers :) CHEERS!!!!

to see more pictures click here:
http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2011/08/epic-beinn-abheithir-sgorr-bhan-sgorr.html
enjoy!!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: EPIC BEINN A'BHEITHIR

Postby metafor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:30 pm

amazing photographs blueyed, exceptionally crystal clear, absolutely no haze on the horizon, what kind of camera were you using and did you use a filter? Did this walk excactly 1 year ago and also got a very good day for a brilliant walk, particularly like your photo looking up toards Sgorr Bhan with what i think is the moon? in the background.
Attachments
20-08-2010 017.jpg
Sgorr Dhearg
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby blueyed » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 am

hi there, the day was truly amazing! yeah, it was a moon. i use nikon d300, i also had a hoya pro polarazing filter, sometimes i put cokin grad grey filter, plus i develop pics from RAW.
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Milesy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 am

Great quality shots there.... Love the one with Bidean - it really shows the bulk of it. :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby PeteR » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Love this hil. It really is a great day out isn't it. Seeing your pictures, which were superb by the way, makes me think it's time to return :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jonny616 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Nice one. great pair of hills. Did this walk a couple of months ago & will defo be doing again some time.

regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Good for my hill-appetite! Nice photos, Bidean looks impressive, and in the third-to-last picture, the conical hill on the left, middle ground, is another Sgurr Dhomnhuill, the Ardgour Corbett. Different spelling, same Donald, probably.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland