walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Coomb - Grey Mares Tail - Up and Down

White Coomb - Grey Mares Tail - Up and Down

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Route description: White Coomb by the Grey Mare's Tail

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: White Coomb

Date walked: 06/08/2011

Time taken: 2 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, things were destined to fail from the second we landed at the GMT car park.

Pulled up, whooops, not got any change for a parking ticket. Okay, can deal with that. Pulled up at the other side of the road on the verge. Dad is feeling a bit sluggish, and can't be ar*ed going out into the horrible wet, wind and cold. Im a little more enthousiastic so i get kitted up, boots on, waterproof jacket etc. Next thing I know, "aww sh*t" Old man Bob had forgetten his boots, i almost fell over the fence laughing !

Anyway, he had his approach shoes and decided to trek up with me. Took the camera out to snap some picture's, no battery. So sorry folks, no picture again after getting the camera fixed for you lot !

I surely wasn't seeing a summit today ?

The plan had originally been to walk up the GMT and Up Rough Craigs and over the ridge to Lochcraig Head. With no boots and about 1 and a half kilometers of bog between the trodden path and the start of ascent the old man descided to give up just before Loch Skeen. Only 20 minutes had saw us at this point. I hadn't been in back country like this on my own before, well not at least going up over 800m. He brought the map out and showed me the route "stick to the stone dyke and leave it just as it turns and head north east, and if you feel confident drop over Carrifan for your descent" I was a little nervous at this point, the clouds were high and thick. Hard too see much above 700m. I took the map and compass aswell as his GPS. Not overly confident using all three together but know the basics and how too take grid refernces, find out where I am etc.

He headed off down and I went up, not knowing whether the clouds would bring rain or relative calmness. After the initial bogyness, the climb began and a slight scramble was enjoyed. Cloud hadn't covered me yet and Loch Skeen was in full view ! Before I knew it, the world was white, well in 20 yards view anyway. It was bine dry and the wind was't strong, I felt confident. The stone dyke kept going, and after 3 steps in the hill side, every thing levelled out. Stone Dyke went one way and I saw what was a slight sheep trail heading off towards the summit. I couldn't see it until I was a few meters away, then the cairn showed and I was at the top. My first solo Corbett, I was a bit chuffed. It had only took me 30 minutes after leaving my dad to get to the Cairn.

The clag hadn't cleared and I just wanted to get back down, so thought i would skip Carrifran for another day, whats the point walking down a ridge anyway ? I just re-traced my steps back down in about 20 minutes, I was soon at the burn again and on my way back too the car. As soon as I got out the cloud, the rain started again :lol: Had a slug of water, some jelly babies and half my sandwhich and then jolted down that horrible stone path and gave the balls of my feet a bit of a pounding.

Feels great too have done something a bit bigger on my own, a couple more days like that will do nicely. I keep forgetting how great the SU are ?

P.s to anyone who was on the GMT today, I was the wee darting thing with an orange hood and cream jacket, hope everyone had a great day :D !!!

Here's a picture I managed to get off my phone up top :)

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by SouthernUplandKing on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Re: White Coomb - Grey Mares Tail - Up and Down

Postby rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Nice one SUK, shame about the weather, but at least you persevered and got up there, one of my favourite areas this along with the ettrick horseshoe, done white combe a couple of years ago, luckily the weather was a bit better, i continued on to firthope rig and followed the fence all the way round to lochcraig head then down the east side of loch skeen to pick up the path alongside tail burn and back down, a nice wee circular route. looking forward to getting out myself again after a bit of a lay off after doing my knee in during a river crossing up in the cairngorms a couple of months ago, so i'm heading for ben oss on tuesday, just hope the weather comes good for me :)
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: White Coomb - Grey Mares Tail - Up and Down

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm

rogers wrote:Nice one SUK, shame about the weather, but at least you persevered and got up there, one of my favourite areas this along with the ettrick horseshoe, done white combe a couple of years ago, luckily the weather was a bit better, i continued on to firthope rig and followed the fence all the way round to lochcraig head then down the east side of loch skeen to pick up the path alongside tail burn and back down, a nice wee circular route. looking forward to getting out myself again after a bit of a lay off after doing my knee in during a river crossing up in the cairngorms a couple of months ago, so i'm heading for ben oss on tuesday, just hope the weather comes good for me :)

Thanks mate, I dont mind walking in the clag. Kinda gives me a sense of being much higher than I actually am :lol:
Plus it keeps you extra vigilant.

I need to do the Etterick Horseshoe, its on the ticklist.

Sorry to hear about your knee though, good too see you are back on your feet and ready to give em' hell :D

Hope the weather holds for you, its still raining down here in the lowlands :(
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland