walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar five and the Corbett

Lochnagar five and the Corbett

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 06/08/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at the Spittal of Glenshee carpark at 8 and were immediately eaten alive by midges so it was on with the midge net while we got ready, it's amazing how quick you get organized when the midge is around. We then set off along the track turning right heading towards the lodge, the track being straightforward with Lochnagar signs along the way. As we decided to take in the Corbett i had thought of leaving the track and heading up the heathery slopes but decided to stay on the track till the Lochnagar junction, here there was a path leading to the Corbett which is only a 30mins detour. We then retraced our steps back to the junction where we headed up the path to Cac Cam Beag, there is a huge cairn at Cac Carn Mor which some may mistake for the summit but this is just a top with the summit a further 0.5km away.
After reaching the summit we retraced our steps to Cac Carn Mor where we took the path to the right towards Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach, again i considered leaving the path to cut over to the second Munro but visibility was poor so stayed on the path and eventually came to a small cairn where we left the path and had a easy 10 mins stroll to the summit. After reaching the summit we retraced our steps then followed the path to the next small cairn which was at a crossroads, turning right to Carn an Sagairt Mor with 15 mins to the summit. It was then back to the crossroads where we went straight over and within 40mins we were on Cairn Bannoch. From here we could see Broad Cairn as the weather was starting to clear and with another 40mins stroll taking us to Broad Cairn. From here we headed down to the path towards the south side of Loch Muick, it was here i started to feel a bit of pain in my left knee and becoming worse as we descended ste steep section of track at the middle of the loch. kims knees were also feeling tired but this was her first time out for a few weeks and although not a strenuous walk it is a long one. The track on the opposite side of the loch looked so inviting for cycling along, if only i'd thought about this beforehand we could have cycled to the big Lodge and done the circuit from there leaving Conachcraig for another day.
P1010288.JPG
Start of the track

P1010289.JPG
The Midge is still out

P1010290.JPG
The path to the Corbett

P1010292.JPG
On the Corbett

P1010294.JPG
A 3 toes monsters foot i think

P1010295.JPG
Kim heading up Lochnagar

P1010297.JPG
Cac Carn Beag summit

P1010298.JPG
Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach summit

P1010301.JPG
The route from 2nd to 3rd Munro

P1010302.JPG
A wee view from Carn an Sagairt Mor

P1010303.JPG
Me at the summit

P1010304.JPG
Another view

P1010305.JPG
Dubh Loch

P1010306.JPG
Eagles rock

P1010308.JPG
Kim on Cairn Bannoch

P1010309.JPG
Loch Muick from Broad Cairn

P1010310.JPG
Lochnagar still in cloud

P1010312.JPG
Broad Cairn summit

P1010313.JPG
Myself with Munros 2,3 & 4 in background

P1010316.JPG
Loch Muick on way down

P1010318.JPG
A look back

P1010319.JPG
Lochnagar the Lodge and the Loch

P1010320.JPG
An t- Sron

P1010322.JPG
One last look at the Loch

P1010323.JPG
A look at the past
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Lochnagar five and the Corbett

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Well done to you and Kim for climbing 5 munros and a very convenient corbett :D

I loved to hear about well defined paths and signposts!!! I'm such a wimp!!

Good to see that the views improved as your day progressed, not too sure about that 'bigfoot'- a bit scary!!

Hope you had a few treats later on- you both deserved them :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Lochnagar five and the Corbett

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Probably a good idea to approach Conachcraig your way - the heather's quite deep and it's a bit of a trudge going straight up. At least you got some reasonable weather and views - these hills seem to to have more clag than many 8) and you're right about the long walkout though for me it was about the only time I could see anything all day :shock:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland