walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Fidhleir and An Sgarsoch from Glen Feshie

Carn an Fidhleir and An Sgarsoch from Glen Feshie

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar)

Date walked: 29/07/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 48 km

Ascent: 1400m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 29 July 2011
Approx time incl stops: 10hrs
Approx distance: 49km (cycle - walk - cycle)
Approx ascent: 1,400m

Parked in the car park just north of Auchlean. As the bridge at Carnachuin was destroyed, I’d decided to cycle down the east side of the River Feshie as far as I could then walk the rest of the way. Thanks to Border Reiver and kinley for comments and photos which helped in the planning.

GPS track - reduced to 500 waypoints for WH

Feshie2 activelog 29jul 2011 track - reduced to 500 waypoints.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather was excellent with full sun and blue skies as I set off down Glen Feshie.

Last edited by rockhopper on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Carn an Fidhleir and An Sgarsoch from Glen Feshie

Postby kinley » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Excellent 8)

I thought Upper Glen Feshie was stunning - really fancy camping up there.

You got a really nice day for them - and the route is a lot better than the white bridge version 8) 8)

Hope I didn't encourage you to cycle further than was useful - as a non-MTBer my advice should come with a gram of NaCl. ;)

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby dooterbang » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:50 pm

I will be doing this exact route....thanks :D

Another big day but better weather than previous walk.

You like carrying that bike eh :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Might try this route for Beinn Bhreac as I fancy a bit of upper Feshie...

Nicely photographed. You seem to have been pretty busy on your holidays!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alastair S » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 am

Excellent & very informative report there Mr Hopper :thumbup:

Given my location I'll probably tackle these two from the more boring White Bridge way but a visit to Glen Feshie is a must. And just as well you didn't go this week - you'd have been doing more swimming than walking / cycling :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks all for the comments

kinley wrote:Hope I didn't encourage you to cycle further than was useful - as a non-MTBer my advice should come with a gram of NaCl.
:lol: No worries kinley - I think you'd suggested it was possible as far as Ruighe nan Leum but I kept going anyway to see what it was like - thought I'd put your mind at ease as I'd hate to think you were losing sleep worrying about this :wink: :lol:
rockhopper

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:38 pm

You got a perfect day & the pics to prove it - it's always good to see pics of the Cairngorms, especially from South of the Dee / Geldie / Feshie, the best place for seeing the vastness of them. I camped at that spot by Ruigh nan Leum on my 2nd night from Blair Atholl & the following day was as good as you had. The camping spot seems idyllic, but it's rock hard ground there - I would look for another spot next time or put some heather down first.
Glen Feshie is an absolute gem of a glen - thank goodness the proposed road from Linn of Dee never happened.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:18 am

Border Reiver wrote:You got a perfect day & the pics to prove it - it's always good to see pics of the Cairngorms, especially from South of the Dee / Geldie / Feshie, the best place for seeing the vastness of them. I camped at that spot by Ruigh nan Leum on my 2nd night from Blair Atholl & the following day was as good as you had. The camping spot seems idyllic, but it's rock hard ground there - I would look for another spot next time or put some heather down first.
Glen Feshie is an absolute gem of a glen - thank goodness the proposed road from Linn of Dee never happened.
Thanks - I didn't test the ground as it only occurred to me that it looked a nice spot as I started up the hill on the other side. Certainly agree on Glen Feshie - on my list for when we return, hopefully next year. Thanks again for your earlier help and photos. :D
rockhopper

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Cheers - this looks like the route to try these two hills next time :) . An overnighter for me though - no way could I do that in one day :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Cheers - this looks like the route to try these two hills next time :) . An overnighter for me though - no way could I do that in one day :lol: .
Leithy - if you cycle it the way I returned, accept having to wade a few times and don't try to cycle much past Ruighe nan Leum, it's fine for a reasonable day. I'm no spring chicken but if I was doing it again I'd probably guess 9 - 10 hrs should be OK. :D That said, it would be a great reason to camp in Glen Feshie which is lovely :D I had planned two overnighters while we were away - a third would have been pushing my luck too far :shock:
rockhopper

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland