walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creise

Creise

Postby David Lyall » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise

Date walked: 13/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only two fools (hardy souls) turned up for the walk up Creise.
Creise 003.jpg
Gary inspects his poncho before setting off.

The weather had been foul all week and the forecast for today was not much better. Gary and I wanted to make the walk more interesting so decided to tackle Creise from the start of Glen Etive and go straight up the north face. Gary made it extra hard for himself by leaving his jacket at home “it will be ok I’ve got a poncho I can wear” by the end of the day the poncho was in several bits and Gary was exceedingly wet. Due to all the rain the river Etive was impossible to cross so we moved the car to the side of the A82 just east of the bridge crossing the Etive river, this meant a 2km trek across boggy ground before we started to climb. Once we started to climb we made quick progress up the slippy ground even near the top most rocky out crops could be avoided. We arrived at the top of Sron na Creise wet and tired. The wind and rain was coming and going but mostly coming so after a very quick break we headed for Creise we stopped at both cairns, as we were not sure which was the top.
Creise 009.jpg
Gary with Meall a' Bhuiridh, behind, one of the few dry moments

We headed for Meall a’ Bhuiridh with the intension of cutting down of the hill before we reached it. We headed down a very steep valley between Creise and Meall a’ Bhuiridh. The Alt Cam Ghieann turned out to have some very dramatic gorges and spectacular water falls with all the rain that had been falling. We got back to the car wet and minus a functioning poncho.
David Lyall
Mountain Walker

Munros:169   Corbetts:18
Grahams:3   

Re: Creise

Postby skuk007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 pm

:lol: You can tell from Gary's expression in that first photo he knows he is going to get wet.
Shame about the weather at the moment, I imagine there are loads of rivers that are uncrossable at the moment and will remain that ways for several days yet. :(
skuk007
Hill Bagger

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Creise

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:40 pm

skuk007 wrote:You can tell from Gary's expression in that first photo he knows he is going to get wet.

Yeah, but I love the way it's a kind of resigned, nonchalant expression! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:212   Corbetts:101
Grahams:64   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:55   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland