walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dear old Carman Hill

Dear old Carman Hill

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Date walked: 14/08/2011

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Popped up the Carman Hill again on Sunday. Being a denizen of that quaint little hamlet on the banks of the River Leven known as “The Renton”, this is a regular stroll out for me – perhaps ten times a year. It’s ideal for clearing a hangover or working up an appetite for Sunday lunch.

For me the starting point is my back door. Today, as I often do, I just went up the hill to the iron fort at the top and back home again – this time to a fat boy breakfast about 11:30.

For visitors to the area the best starting point would be Renton Bowling Club, 200 yards from the railway station. Indeed you may wish to abandon the car and make a point of taking the train: get the Balloch train, alight at Renton and start walking. Options would be to carry on right across the hill to Cardross and have lunch there (there are two good pubs) then take the train home from Cardross station. Alternatively, when you get to the fort, you could continue towards Loch Lomond along the top of Bromley Muir then down the Stoney Mullen to Balloch – lots of places there for lunch. Then get the train home from Balloch. You see how clever this plan of mine is – no cars therefore an extra beer or two (for medicinal purposes) would be quite acceptable.

Whatever way you do it there are nice views back up the Clyde and down past Greenock towards Arran etc. If you want Loch Lomond you’ll have to head off in the Balloch direction for you won’t see the loch until you’re a good way along.
My wee local walk is 1 to 1.5 hours. You do your own thing. Here are a few photos from Sunday…..

DSCF1335.JPG
5 MINS FROM THE START AND ALREADY VIEWS OPEN UP - TO DUMBUCK HILL AND THE CLYDE

DSCF1336.JPG
...AND HERE ACROSS THE VALE OF LEVEN AND TO THE CONIC HILL IN THE DISTANCE

DSCF1340A.jpg
OVER TO GREENOCK

DSCF1341.JPG
DOON THE WATER

DSCF1342.JPG
OVER CARMAN RESERVOIR TO DUMBARTON ROCK & CASTLE, DUMBUCK QUARRY AND THE CLYDE
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland