walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A lot of miles behind them

A lot of miles behind them

Postby Oldman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Date walked: 13/08/2011

Distance: 14.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Saturday 13th August 2011 a group of about 25 climbed Beinn Fhionnlaidh to accompany and celebrate the achievements of Jim and Alan. Jim was climbing his final Munro (first time round) and Alan was climbing his final Munro (second time round). Most of the party had billeted in some bunkhouse the night before where many a dram and bottle of wine had been consumed in anticipation of the great event. Result was that half of them turned up at Elleric car park with hangovers - the mountain air would soon clear thier heads. The wise ones (Oldman and Siobhanflute) travelled up from Cambuslang in the morning to meet up at 10AM. Needless to say the rest were late and slightly disorganised but in very good spirits. Some were seasoned walkers with many Munros under their belts, some with just a few Munros behind them and some were complete novices - a very good mixture which would guarantee a memorable and entertaining day. On top of all this the weather was distinctly unpromising. We had just had a week of monsoons and this day threatened to be rainy, misty and very wet however it did clear up towards the end of the day.

Before setting off the important equipment was checked - plenty whisky and champagne to celebrate at the top - excellent. The advance party (four of us) set off at about 10.15AM and missed the group shot - shame on us - but we felt that someone should move or we would be there all day and besides, I feared that I might hold them all back as I am a bit slow.
IMG_2014.JPG
All set - we'll catch the other four easy!!
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 004.jpg
First two onto the hill - weather looks a bit grey!!
As we climbed the very wet hill we kept looking back for signs of the others exiting the woods but they were nowhere to be seen for ages. We had decided that we would not enter the cloud until they had caught up
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 005.jpg
There they are at last.
We slowed our own progress to let them gain ground but it soon became apparent that they had split into two groups with the two super heros leading the second lot. We joined the first group so we then had two parties of manageable size - we didn't want to mislay anyone (I don't think we did).
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 009.jpg
All on your own? Where's the rest?
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 023.jpg
Here they come now!
And so it was onwards and upwards in ever changing weather - sometimes rain, sometimes mist/rain, sometimes just mist and sometimes relatively clear giving a good atmosphere and quite dramatic views.
IMG_2026.JPG
Yup! A little misty!!
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 031.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 035.jpg
Good view eh?
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 038.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 040.jpg
Could be worse girls - smile!!
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 052.jpg
A bite to eat as we wait for the slow coaches.
Stitched_001.JPG
Quite clear now.
As our first party reached the cairn the weather was not good - the wind had added to the discomfort and the chill began to bite. We had intended to wait at the top for the two stars so that we could all celebrate together but instead it was a quick dram and out of there.
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 073.jpg
You've made it ladies - hooray!!! - give us a smile.
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 076.jpg
We wanna go home please.
We all headed down through the weather looking forward to exiting the cloud. The other lot passed us on their way up but I do not know who looked the sadder - them or us. When they got to the top the weather had cleared somewhat to allow a bit of a celebration which we are sad to have missed.
IMG_2031.JPG
Whisky? Single Malt? Impressive!
IMG_2034.JPG
National Flags? Makes one feel proud, patriotic and a little emotional.
Scotland can be very kind and this day was no exception. The views extended to us on the decent were magical and no-one was in too big a hurry to leave the mountain.
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 081.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 088.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 094.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 093.jpg
My feet are wet, I'm frozen cold but I don't care - brilliant!!!
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 100.jpg
Into the West
Finally Jim caught up with us and we had a wee group picture (minus me).
Beinn Fhionnlaidh 123.jpg
Is that grass not a bit wet???
Having all arrived safely back at the car park it was time for Oldman and daughter to head home. The remainder went off to some doss- house to celebrate, not only our two heros success, but Jim's 50th birthday - oh to be so young again.
IMG_2068.JPG
Steady now, you've had a hard day!
So from Oldman it's hearty congratulations to our two intrepid heros (nutcases actually) and happy birthday to Jim - he might settle down now but I doubt it.

Well done everyone and thank you for having me on such a memorable trip.

Good and safe walking y'all

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: A lot of miles behind them

Postby LJgee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Why does the cloud come down on "final munro" jaunts we had the same earlier in the year.
Congrats to the Completer and a WHY to the 2 times Completer.
My day is still a long way in the future but I would like to think I could have a party that size out with me.
Particularly loved the Yup! A little misty!! photo sure lots of us have that one in an album someplace
LJgee
Munro compleatist

Munros:177   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:10

Postby siobhan_flute » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 pm

A great day despite the weather! I was amazed at the lack of maps and compasses etc, when ten people are huddled round a map in the p***ing rain it confirms the need for everyone to be well prepared and equipped.....and always keep your group in view if you're leading in misty conditions :shock:
siobhan_flute
Ambler

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Postby siobhan_flute » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 pm

LJgee wrote:Congrats to the Completer and a WHY to the 2 times Completer.

Well said! He obviously has far too much spare time!
siobhan_flute
Ambler

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Postby Oldman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:15 pm

siobhan_flute wrote:A great day despite the weather! I was amazed at the lack of maps and compasses etc, when ten people are huddled round a map in the p***ing rain it confirms the need for everyone to be well prepared and equipped.....and always keep your group in view if you're leading in misty conditions :shock:

On an outing like that with the numbers involved you wouldn't really expect many maps and compases. Most people would simply be prepared to rely on the good judgement of the leaders. As it happened on this occasion the weather was fairly unkind but we all enjoyed ourselves and there were no mishaps. As you say however it does highlight the need for 'being prepared' on mountain outings as you never know what the hills will throw at you. Personally I am ultra cautious and always go well prepared.

As for 'WHY' would anyone want to do the Munro circuit twice? I can only say 'WHY NOT?'
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby kevsbald » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Bien fait! Was that Highland Park I spied??? Yummy.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Bod » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Cracking stuff, looks like lots f fun had by all.....well done!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby morag1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 pm

A great report, nice to see such a happy bunch of people enjoying themselves in the hills

Well done to you and keep safe when walking :D
morag1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland