walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Muick MTB Circumnavigation

Loch Muick MTB Circumnavigation

Postby Alastair S » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Date walked: 14/08/2011

Time taken: 2.8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20110814.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Loch Muick profile.jpg

Cycling: 28.1 km
Time taken: 2hr 50min
Ascent : 679m

I'd come across a thread on some cycling forum about MTB'able Munros and two that were local to me were mentioned: Mount Keen & Broad Cairn. Well I'd already cycled to the base of Mount Keen from the Glen Tanar side and no way would I be able to cycle up the rough path from the Shiel of Glentanar. The southern approach looks slightly more hopeful however but I've yet to take a look.

And I knew there would be no way to cycle up the just a rough and steeper path from the side of Loch Muick that crosses the Black Burn. Looking at the map the nearby Capel Road that forks off the loch-side track before you get to Lock Muick looked a lot more promising (in that you might actually be able to cycle up it). I've been past it on several occasions and I didn't recall it being too rough. But there is still the problem of how to get from the top of this track over to the Broad Cairn track. I thought that there may possibly be an unmarked path across. Only one way to find out - go and take a look. So this is what I did.

Not an early start so rolled into the chocker Lock Muick car park around 10am. Had to park in the coach bit. By happy chance I happened to catch up with a group of four MTB'ers just at the start of the Capel Road. They were headed for Glen Clova. I managed to stay with them for about half the ascent when eventually my lack of fitness caught up with me & I had to stop for a breather. After 5 minutes I was back on the bike again until a steeper section forced me back onto my feet. In total I probably pushed the bike for about 400-500m. Up ahead I could see a couple of the pukka MTB'ers had also resorted to pushing (but they had full suspension machines that were probably a bit heavier than my hard-tail). I found them all at the top having a snack & stopped for a breather myself.

1.Loch Muick from Capel Road #1.jpg

2.Loch Muick from Capel Road #2.jpg

3.The back of Lochhagar.jpg

After 5 minutes I carried on along the track. Things didn't look too hopeful. The heather up here was knee-high & thick and there were also lots of peat hags. There was one large cairn for no apparent reason and then a line of grouse butts. But no path. So headed back. The descent was fairly hairy even with my brakes nearly full on all the way. Caught a bit of heather with a pedal near the top that nearly sent my flying but managed to get back down in one piece and without having to get off the bike.

Then went to confirm that other track was way too steep. It was. The pukka MTB'ers said they'd been down it the previous day but I doubt I would have even attempted riding down it. For some reason I decided to push my bike round to the head of the lock (I've walked round before & knew this path wasn't bikeable). It would have been quicker to cycle all the way round the other way.

Anyway the beach at the head was a lovely (& popular) spot for lunch and the cycling from then was easy going. It was such a nice afternoon that I did a bit extra once I'd got back to the north end of Loch Muick.

4. Lunch on the beach.jpg

So IMHO Mount Keen isn't really MTB'able. Someone fitter wouldn't have a problem cycling up the Capel Road but I doubt anyone but a super-fit & expert biker would get up the Black Burn track. Sure, you could push your bike up, but doing the bulk of the ascent on your feet don't make a hill MTB'able. I guess you would also have to walk the last half to 1 km - I've only been up there when it was under snow. I guess I'm going to have to find another hill to conquer so that I can post the the Flickr group People standing on top of mountains holding bikes above their heads.
Last edited by Alastair S on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Loch Muick MTB Circumnavigation

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Maybe you could have a wee look at Carn na Caim & A" Bhuidheanach Bheag Alastair,not being a mountain biker at all not sure how steep it needs to be before you would need to dismout & push.A good but fairly steep track climbs all the way up to the old quarry & from there it flattens out so I would imagine from here to Carn na Caim would be easy on a bike as your still on a track,maybe A"B B would be a wee bit more difficult.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Looks like a possibility. The first km looks doable.... was just looking through the walk reports to see if anyone included the track in their photos & came across a recent report from DJG78 (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13584) that says he biked it (much to rockhopper's approval). Mind you DJG78 has got nearly 20 years on me :lol:

So thanks for the pointer gammy :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Alastair S wrote:Looks like a possibility. The first km looks doable.... was just looking through the walk reports to see if anyone included the track in their photos & came across a recent report from DJG78 (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13584) that says he biked it (much to rockhopper's approval). Mind you DJG78 has got nearly 20 years on me :lol:
So thanks for the pointer gammy :D
Some of the earlier sections of the track are steep and would need pushing but I'd think once up top a lot of it is cycleable - then a great descent :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland