walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe, The CUILLIN

Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe, The CUILLIN

Postby Bod » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Route description: Am Basteir

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 15/08/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1267m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bruach na Frithe with perhaps a wee add-on we had promised ourselves today......... :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a fine night down in Glen Brittle Campsite the four of us agreed on a cautious approach to Bruach na Frithe to introduce us further to the Cuillin (with a few we add-ons of course). Marty and Sandy, and Valerie and I, had all been in the misty mountains earlier this year and it was time to explore further into the corries, gullies and gorges of this amazing island. We left from the Glen Brittle carpark close to the Fairy Pools and followed the path close to Allt a' Mhaim to the Bealach a' Mhaim. A lovely walk then followed initially skirting the west side of the deep burn gullies then brought us neatly up into Foinn Choire where we sat down to enjoy an early lunch and refreshment. We were not alone!
1.JPG
Ewe basteir or could I suggest this beast's name is Lamb basteir?
This brave ewe was more than happy to come and take our food, or even a bite of a rucsac. It seemed to like red canvas best and caused much amusement, although she did affect the relaxation factor of hanging out in Fionn Choire... :lol:
2.JPG
Valerie and Marty the Choire path.
3.JPG
Two trolls at Bealach nan Lice!
4.JPG
Going up the ridge to Bruach na Frithe. Behind me you see Sgurr a' Fionn Choire, Am Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean.
5.JPG
Sgurr na Bhairnich to the south of our first Munro summit. The view continues along the traverse heading south west into the mists.
6.JPG
The top of Bruach na Frithe, photo kindly taken by one three friendly chaps who had just abseiled the Am Bhasteir Tooth.
7.JPG
A view from Bealach a' Bhasteir looking south.
Having arrived at Bealach a' Bhasteir following a walk round the base of the north wall of Am Basteir, we carefully assessed our time, weather conditions and gear. The Bealach nan Lice area had caused us no real difficulties and our spirits were high! So here we were about to ascend Am Basteir.........almost doubling back west after our walk eastwards far below :shock:
8.JPG
Beginning our scramble on East Ridge direct........Sandy, Marty and Valerie following.
9.JPG
Getting tricky and daunting, but great fun - I am there to catch!
10.JPG
Ma pal Marty temporarily not smiling.....hehe
11.JPG
Happy and on two feet again briefly, but concentration remains....
Suddenly we are at a stand still; the expected Bad Step arrives. Marty and I made sure the girls were safely sat down while we sussed our belay points. Excitement and joy for all, mixed with adding a layer of extra clothing and dealing with a short rainfall. This was relevant as Am Basteir being covered in Basalt rock is vulnerable to being more slippy than the Gabbro rock on neighbouring mountains.
12.JPG
I climbed down first with Marty providing safety. Then Valerie and Sandy followed held by Marty with myself to catch and provide assurances at the base. Marty then abseiled down on the rope doubled, again with me waiting below. This Bad Step is only about a 4 metre drop (though it seems higher at first, and has very risky drops north and south) , so for us it was essential to use a safety rope.
13.JPG
Looking back to the Bad Step with the gear left ready for our return.
14.JPG
A bit more clambering and scrambling!!!
15.JPG
Sandy, Valerie and Marty on the summit of Am Basteir!
16.JPG
Myself and Marty kind of chuffed with ourselves....
18.JPG
The girls leading the way down. You can see my red sack on the Bad Step below.
19.JPG
Having a fine view southwards into Lota Corrie, whilst lying back on the rock preparing to belay Marty who was first up the Step.
20.JPG
Looking back down the Step once we were all up.
21.JPG
Departing the Bad Step after packing the sacks again.....
22.JPG
Back around the north wall again nearing Bealach nan Lice, below the Bhasteir Tooth.
23.JPG
The Bhasteir Tooth......jings!!!!!!
24.JPG
A great shot looking southwards through Bealach nan Lice towards Clach Glas and Bla Bheinn.
25.JPG
Back down in Fionn Choire. A beautiful place for Mountain walkers and ewes alike.
Hey-ho! What more do I need to say? Nothing really, a fantastic day out in the Cuillin......!!! :D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:36 am, edited 13 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe, The CUILLIN

Postby JohnJoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Nice report! I'd like to do that route. Were the ropes essential?
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:17 pm

JohnJoe wrote:Were the ropes essential?

You can skirt below the bad step on ledges with lots of loose stones (Grade 2).
IMO sticking to the ridge and doing the bad step is safer.
The bad step is a steep short climb (Skye Scrambles suggests "at least Severe").
Easy enough to solo up but definitely easier to abseil down.
foggieclimber

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:02 am

Nice report, lots of great photos.

I agree about sticking to the ridge being safer, but the ledges aren't that bad - although they were very slippery when I used them after a brief rain shower. The bad step looks very daunting from the top - as foggieclimber says it's easy enough to solo up but the exposure and the need to face inwards makes the descent a very daunting prospect.

However I think you could go up without a rope, have a look at the descent and if you don't like it it's only a short double-back and a small drop down to reach the ledges - that's what I ended up doing.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Redrock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:06 pm

You're getting in some fine scrambling, Bod! There are some really great pictures in your report. You really catch the emotions of scrambling in your pictures - from terror to joy and everything in between! :D The girls descending back down to the bad step is an impressive shot - it looks quite exposed to me. :? Could somebody not carve a few steps up that bad step! It would make life so much easier! :lol: Great report, Bod! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Great pics that had me almost feeling I'd been scrambling along that ridge too!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Nice one Bod - some great detail for those of us still to follow :thumbup: Some scary and moody photos...esp "The Bhasteir Tooth". Think I'd need a bit of practice before attempting this sort of thing and I've never used a rope before either. Well done all of you :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JTweedie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Regarding using a rope - what's the best way of getting experience using them? Doing a course? Going out with experienced climbers?
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 am

Another informative report there Bod with great photos. Not done anything on Skye yet, so will have to get up there.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 am

Well done Bod, great report there and some cracking pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Superb! I absolutely love Isle of Skye - still haven't climbed these two Munros but I'm sure I'll try soon...
That Am Basteir scramble looks scary :shock:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Bod » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:44 pm

JTweedie wrote:Regarding using a rope - what's the best way of getting experience using them? Doing a course? Going out with experienced climbers?

Hi, I have some basic climbing knowledge from over the years, but focused more on hill walking and do hold the Mountain Leader Award. With that I am trained on security on steep ground, where the intention is safety and confidence roping for aiding situations as they develop rather than planned scrambling. So I am pushing my boundaries now, but only after visiting Skye earlier this year with a very experienced climbing friend to introduce me to the Cuillin, plus my pal Marty on this summit has some climbing experience. Don't ever be put off though, but yes doing this with experienced climbers/scramblers would be sensible at first, cheers.... :D
Bod
Walker

Postby JTweedie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Bod wrote:
JTweedie wrote:Regarding using a rope - what's the best way of getting experience using them? Doing a course? Going out with experienced climbers?

Hi, I have some basic climbing knowledge from over the years, but focused more on hill walking and do hold the Mountain Leader Award. With that I am trained on security on steep ground, where the intention is safety and confidence roping for aiding situations as they develop rather than planned scrambling. So I am pushing my boundaries now, but only after visiting Skye earlier this year with a very experienced climbing friend to introduce me to the Cuillin, plus my pal Marty on this summit has some climbing experience. Don't ever be put off though, but yes doing this with experienced climbers/scramblers would be sensible at first, cheers.... :D

I don't actually know anyone who does climbing or scrambles where you'd need a rope, but it's definitely something I'd like to do in future, it puts that extra edge to days out on the mountains. Maybe first I should get to 10 Munros before thinking about using ropes!
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Bod » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:08 am

You get out there and climb a few more Munros, and maybe even enjoy a sneeky wee Corbett or Graham (I love them too) good luck, will look out for your reports, cheers the noo
JTweedie wrote:
Bod wrote:

I don't actually know anyone who does climbing or scrambles where you'd need a rope, but it's definitely something I'd like to do in future, it puts that extra edge to days out on the mountains. Maybe first I should get to 10 Munros before thinking about using ropes!
Bod
Walker

Postby Lostwalker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Bod thanks for the great trip report looks fantastic! :D
Lostwalker
Mountaineer

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland