walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Conval, near Dufftown

Meikle Conval, near Dufftown

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Route description: Little Conval and Meikle Conval, Dufftown

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Conval

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 3.6 km

Ascent: 270m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 30/07/2011
Title - Meikle Conval, near Dufftown (abandoned going on to Little Conval)
Route - From Ben Rinnes car park up SW ridge to summit. Return same way
Weather - No wind (midge!), warm
People - Me
Time - 1h 15m
Distance - 3.6km
Ascent - 270m
Max Altitude - 571m

MeikleConval-route30072011.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had a few hours between commitments in Elgin so opted for a short walk over the two Convals. Original plan was to go up Meikle Conval and continue on to Little Conval but it was so calm and warm that the midges and flies were having a field day - could barely stop for 30 seconds without being swarmed by them. Not my idea of enjoyment. Roll on winter. In the end I got to Meikle Conval summit and continued on briefly toward Little Conval before packing it in and turning around.

Tons of people heading up Ben Rinnes. I was the only one that went up Meikle Conval on the other side of the road. Easy enough walk up a thin path through the heather. I can imagine it'd be a bit boggy in parts, especially near the large peat hags, but it was dry and firm today.

Took a couple of snaps before arriving at the car park further up the road:
Meikle Conval

Little Conval

And this one taken last year from Ben Rinnes, shows Meikle Conval with Little Conval behind

Started from Ben Rinnes car park. Parked up at 10:30am - 2nd car there. By the time I had my boots on about 8 other cars had filled the place up. A few people set up a table with plastic cups and juice - no idea what for at the time - but during my descent I met a guy who asked if I was a race marshall :? It turns out that there was a hill running race on that day. 100+ runners coming from Dufftown, over the 2 convals and on to Ben Rinnes before turning around and going back the same way. If I hadn't turned around I'd have came head on with all the runners going the other way! Wise move to get out of there.

Steep start but it does ease off

This pic I took last year from the Ben Rinnes path shows the path on the other side of the road

Looking back to car park

Ben Rinnes

Final push to Meikle Conval summit

Massive peat hag with Ben Rinnes in distance

Meikle Conval summit. Little Conval summit just showing in distance

Ben Rinnes from summit. Flags were all over the place to guide the hill runners

View to east

Looking to Little Conval from the point I turned around. Passed the only other person on the hill...... she would be passing 100 more.

Ben Rinnes

Scurran of Well on Ben Rinnes

Ben Rinnes summit

A couple of pics from Ben Rinnes last year. Some nice granite tors up there

Good views, but they would have had the best up there...
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland