walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fife Coastal Path - Lower Largo to Anstruther

Fife Coastal Path - Lower Largo to Anstruther

Postby Stretch » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 am

Route description: Fife Coastal Path 5: Lower Largo to St Monans , Fife Coastal Path

Date walked: 21/08/2011

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 20.8 km

Ascent: 200m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After debating all week whether to hire a car for the weekend in order to join Gammy and the lads in the Mamores I finally decided that the forecast just did not warrant the 80 pounds or so I'd need to spend to head into the hills. So I convinced myself that I would reserve Sunday for some PhD work and take a long stroll down the Fife Coastal Path on Saturday.

I got an early start, first bus down the coast left St Andrews at 7:30. By 9 I was setting off down the beach from Lower Largo. The wind was brisk but it was surprisingly warm to start the day. The sun would come out in full force eventually and I was roasting by the end of the day. It's a pretty lengthy walk down the beach from Lower Largo to Ruddons Point, but this was my favorite stretch of the day.

Lower Largo.jpg

WWII Tank Traps.jpg

Largo Law.jpg

Back to Lower Largo.jpg

Ruddons Point.jpg

From Ruddons Point it was on to Elie and the cliffs above the chain walk. This is also a nice stretch, at least after you get past the camper park. I have done the chain walk about 5 or 6 times and on this day the tide looked a bit high so I chose to take the high road. Once I came down off the cliffs I reached the beach alongside the Elie golf course and saw what appeared to be a golfer w/bag looking for his lost ball. I figured he would just pick it up if he found it, but no, this guy lined up a shot and did a fine job getting it back in play. On to Elie I went, this is one of my favorite towns along the east coast. The beach was full of kids playing in the sun and sand and it made for a lively scene. At the pier I tried to regain the path by skirting the coast around the lighthouse at the end of town. I cut through the very lower end of some guy's yard and he came outside and gave me hell. I guess he didn't like the look of a giant, hat wearing American walking through the worst bit of his yard. I was rudely redirected to the street. Nevertheless, I finally made it out of Elie and started back on the path for St Monans.

Long way back to Ruddons Point.jpg

Nearing Elie.jpg

Looking back to Lower Largo from above the chain walk.jpg

Fife countryside.jpg

Cliffs above Elie and the chain walk.jpg

Beach by Elie Golf Course.jpg

This guy is a bit off course.jpg

Approaching Elie.jpg

Beach at Elie.jpg

There were more people on the Elie to St Monans section and I passed several groups heading along this stretch. The castle ruins just before St Monans was the main attraction but the 3 caravans parked on the site ruined some angles for photos. A wedding was in progress at the Kirk and a piper was playing in the churchyard. At St Monans I decided to go ahead and walk further on to Anstruther and get a bit more exercise. It was too nice of a day to call it quits. At Pittenweem I splurged on a rasberry ripple ice cream cone, yum. Then checked the bus times for Anstruther and saw that I could get there in time to catch the next ride back to St Andrews. Anstruther was full of folks, so I just sat on a bench and people watched for 30 minutes before catching the bus back.

Path to St Monans.jpg

St Monans Castle.jpg

St Monans.jpg

Pittenweem.jpg

Anstruther.jpg

I've now walked 4 of the 9 sections of the coastal path and have really enjoyed these strolls. The section from Anstruther to Crail does not look particularly interesting so I may give that a miss. But I'd like to finish the St Andrews to Newport on Tay section. The coastal path is a great alternative for a broke student who wants to see some nice scenery while his pals are high on the munros. I spent just 7 pounds on this day, but had a fantastic day in the sun.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Fife Coastal Path - Lower Largo to Anstruther

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:30 am

Missing out on a great day in the Mamores.upsetting the locals,catching a bus,whats happened to you since coming back from your hols mate.Time for you to get your mojo back,fine report none the less.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby walk aboot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Some lovely walking along there, Andy :D

Um, what's a tank trap?
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Stretch » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks Janet, those blocks were placed there during WW2 to stop German tanks from making it off the beach should they attempt an invasion. It seems odd though, they only stretch a small distance, so I'm not sure if more of them were put down and later removed or what. I'd say time has altered what they originally looked like as well. Interesting though.

Willie, loan, I mean give me 80 pounds next time :lol: :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Malckyb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Great report.I just love that coast,so many lovely wee places up that way...looks a lovely walk and one I hope to do soon...well done!! :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby KGBMC » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks for your excellent report on the Fife Coastal Path

I have completed the sections from North Queensferry to Largo and intend doing the path from Largo to Ainster staying at the small caravan site at St Monans

Fortunately I have my bus pass so it should'nt cost me a penny, tight b------d
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby Stretch » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Thank you both! This is a fine section of the east coast and there are some great spots to stop and take in the scenery, birdwatch, or you can dive into a pub or shop in the villages.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 pm

An excellent report on a lovely place to walk. :thumbup:

I havent done much walking in Fife although I have been thinking about it for some time. Had my eye on the Lomond Hills but your report is making me think I should do this coastal path instead :D
morag1

Postby dooterbang » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Was lovely down the East Coast Saturday, as your report proves.

I had lunch in Aberdour bay before spending some time in St Andrews.

I forgot my camera so thanks for posting this :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi andy,looks like you got cracking weather and views looks a great area glad you are back and posting ,no report about mcd's before and after walk though you feeling ok? mate :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Looks a nice stretch of coast. When I can't get to the hills I wander around the coast up north between Findhorn and Hopeman.

Loads of anti-tank blocks here. I think this is where they practiced for D-day landings
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Nice one Stretch. Not your usual sort of TR, but good though! :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Stretch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14 am

Cheers for the comments all.

James, it's a probably a good thing there is no McD's anywhere near St Andrews! I allow myself to stop at the one in Perth from time to time though :lol:

Morag, I've done the Lomond's as well, it's a good little walk and the views are nice.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 am

Nice one mate that really is a cracking part of the country (but not as good as the mamores ) :D :lol:
Pity you couldnt join us this weekend hopefully next time
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby tamsin grainger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Great photos and smooth words. Thanks.
tamsin grainger
Scrambler

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland