walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One walk 3 days and Ten Hewitts

One walk 3 days and Ten Hewitts

Postby petem56 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Aran Benllyn, Aran Fawddwy, Erw y Ddafad-ddu, Esgeiriau Gwynion (Foel Rhudd), Foel Hafod-fynydd, Glasgwm, Gwaun y Llwyni, Llechwedd Du, Moel y Cerrig Duon, Pen y Brynfforchog

Date walked: 06/08/2011

Time taken: 13.47

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1851m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off from the walkers car park about 12.30 Saturday 6/8/2011, planned to have 3 shortish days walking as weather supposed to be quite good from mornings to mid/late afternoon so planned to have tent up by 5ish.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Within 15 mins of starting off the first shower of the day arrived so it was A. get wet in the rain or B. sweat in waterproofs, I tried the latter but after 5 mins decided rain was best.
P1000412 copy.jpg
Back towards car park
P1000413 copy.jpg
The track up the hill side
The rain soon cleared as I made my way steadily uphill to join the Forrest Track. I followed the track through the Forrest (Mainly Felled) to its end then just carried on in the same general direction as the track the the first top of the walk, Pen y Brynfforchog.
P1000418 copy.jpg
Pen y Brynfforchog
P1000419 copy.jpg
Towards Cadir
Just off the top the map shows a track going through woods towards Glasgwm. Don't bother with it, it's not there, follow fence north then east changing to northeast to the top of Glasgwm.
P1000420 copy.jpg
To Glasgwm
After some nice easy walking with only one or two boggy bits I soon arrived at top No 2 and my spot for the night.
P1000425 copy.jpg
From summit No 2 towards campsite for the night
P1000426 copy.jpg
Home Sweet Home
P1000434 copy.jpg
Cloud closing in
After a Cup A Soup and a Lancashire Hotpot (Look what I Found range from Sainsburys, and no I do not work for them I'm actualy a Bus Driver) I settled down for a good nights sleep, soon to be disturbed by about 12 people on a Outwards Bound course, to be fair to them they were only camped about 20 mtrs away and after they had passed my tent I did'nt hear a thing all night (my snoring might have kept them awake though). :wink:

Day 2

All packed up and set off by 08.30, cloud not lifted yet so started in full waterproofs.
P1000435 copy.jpg
The cool and misty way ahead
I followed the fenceline northeast to SH 842 119 and at that point crossed over the fence so the fence would be on my left, this was followed roughly to SH 581 208 where you will find a line of old fencepost's heading southeast to the top of Gwaun y Llwyni, 3rd top of the walk.
P1000437 copy.jpg
Old fence to Gwaun y Llwyni
P1000442 copy.jpg
Gwaun y Llwyni
P1000441 copy.jpg
Aran Fawddwy from Gwaun y Llwyni
I then headed north then northeast to join the track that comes up over Drysgol, then head north to Aran Fawddwy my 4th top.
P1000443 copy.jpg
Aran Fawddwy trig point and small shelter cairn
from here it was continue along the ridge northward to the tops of Erw y Ddafad-ddu and Aran Benllyn tops 5 and 6.
P1000445 copy.jpg
Creiglyn Dyfi
P1000447 copy.jpg
Erw y Ddafad-ddu
P1000450 copy.jpg
From Aran Benllyn to Erw y Ddafad-ddu and Aran Fawddwy
From Aran Benllyn I retraced my path back towards Erw y Ddafad-ddu then took its southeast ridge down to Creiglyn Dyfi and my stop for the night. I walked round to the far side of Creiglyn Dyfi to find a fairly level piece of ground for my tent.
P1000455 copy.jpg
Heading down to Creiglyn Dyfi
Tonights meal was again Cup A Soup followed by Beef in black porter and by 6pm I was lay in my tent listening to the wind, but no rain yet.

Day 3

After another good nights sleep I was off by about 08.30 again heading for Foel Hafod-fynydd
P1000458 copy.jpg
Up to Foel Hafod-fynydd
P1000459 copy.jpg
Foel Hafod-fynydd
From the top I headed just south of east to SH 883 225 then went steeply down to Bwlch Sirddyn then took a diagonal line right, partway up then struck directly uphill to the summit of Esgeiriau Gwynion, 8th top of the walk.
P1000462 copy.jpg
Esgeiriau Gwynion with the diagonal line clearly marked
P1000464 copy.jpg
Esgeiriau Gwynion top
P1000465 copy.jpg
Looking back from Esgeiriau Gwynion
From the top headed southeast to pick up the fence and followed it southwards to Llechwedd Du, it was along this section at about 11.30 that the rain started so it was waterproofs from now on.
P1000466 copy.jpg
Llechwedd Du
From here it was head east over boggy trackless terrain to Bwlch Groes and cross road following a well made path to the summit of Moel y Cerrig Duon the final top of the walk, then retrace my steps to Bwlch Groes, where Angie should be waiting for me.
P1000468 copy.jpg
The final top
Whilst some of these top seem uninspiring the walk is brilliant, you get solitude and a sense of wilderness but you are never really to far off the beaten track.
petem56
Mountain Walker

Munros:135   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:67   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland