walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor... 5 dogs & 5 blokes

Buachaille Etive Mor... 5 dogs & 5 blokes

Postby Jabber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 19/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1022m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started early for this one. I was feeling a bit dodgy after being subjected to Hearts being thrashed by Spurs the evening before. The excitement was there though as there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The usual muster point for the car share was at the Inverglas Car park and already I was getting excited by the views
Ben Lomond at 0620 in the morning.JPG
Ben Lomond showing off!

As we got close to Glencoe the clear skys had been replaced by foggy conditions..still it was looking very nice though.
Stob Dearg from Car.JPG

The walk up Coire na Tulaich was quite eventful for me as I hadn't been out now for nearly a fortnight and Oh boy was I blowing, half way up though I picked up and it was my westies turn to struggle over the large rocks in her way, so me being me decided I have a crack at the westie friendly scree....not so for me underfoot :lol:
Meg and Jif stuck in the Coire.JPG
cloud lifting over Glencoe.JPG

Once up on the ridge the view down got very impressive with the low cloud below, once I had caught up with everyone else the walk up to Stob Dearg took no time at all.
Stob Dearg.JPG

At this point we parted company with two of our friends and three of the doggies who had to be back home for lunch. On we motored taking photos all the way along the ridge, with fabulous views starting to show from all over Glencoe and beyond.

We didn't stay too long on the peak and we made our back towards Stob na Doire in our hunt for the second Munro of the day along the Buachaille.
Stob na Doire mist clearing.JPG
SAM_0193.JPG
Bidean showing off!

We eventually made our way along the ridge and soon we were sitting on our second Munro of the day Stob na Brioge.
Meg Me on Stob Na Broige.JPG
Cherry Coke Can dispenser at the top you know!

The descent off the the ridge was very pleasant in a very well repaired/maintained path into Lairig Gartain
Lairig Gartain.JPG

A very enjoyable day was had by all including the westie who loved the run down the grassy slopes into Lairig Gartain, plus a geocache bagged for my mate Kev, finished off with a successful pint at the drovers Inn. Thanks to Kev, Dobbo, the Green Welly(Top Bacon Rolls at 6-30 in the morning), Meg the westie 14 & still rocking! 8)
Geocache King on Stob Dearg.JPG
mORE.JPG
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor... 5 dogs & 5 blokes

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Great pics and I'm well impressed at your Westie doing that climb at 14! :thumbup:
Way to go Meg!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby kev_russ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 pm

cracking pics :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Louise993 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Jabber wrote:We started early for this one. I was feeling a bit dodgy after being subjected to Hearts being thrashed by Spurs the evening before. The excitement was there though as there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The usual muster point for the car share was at the Inverglas Car park and already I was getting excited by the views
Ben Lomond at 0620 in the morning.JPG

As we got close to Glencoe the clear skys had been replaced by foggy conditions..still it was looking very nice though.
Stob Dearg from Car.JPG

The walk up Coire na Tulaich was quite eventful for me as I hadn't been out now for nearly a fortnight and Oh boy was I blowing, half way up though I picked up and it was my westies turn to struggle over the large rocks in her way, so me being me decided I have a crack at the westie friendly scree....not so for me underfoot :lol:
Meg and Jif stuck in the Coire.JPG
cloud lifting over Glencoe.JPG

Once up on the ridge the view down got very impressive with the low cloud below, once I had caught up with everyone else the walk up to Stob Dearg took no time at all.
Stob Dearg.JPG

At this point we parted company with two of our friends and three of the doggies who had to be back home for lunch. On we motored taking photos all the way along the ridge, with fabulous views starting to show from all over Glencoe and beyond.

We didn't stay too long on the peak and we made our back towards Stob na Doire in our hunt for the second Munro of the day along the Buachaille.
Stob na Doire mist clearing.JPG
SAM_0193.JPG

We eventually made our way along the ridge and soon we were sitting on our second Munro of the day Stob na Brioge.
Meg Me on Stob Na Broige.JPG

The descent off the the ridge was very pleasant in a very well repaired/maintained path into Lairig Gartain
Lairig Gartain.JPG

A very enjoyable day was had by all including the westie who loved the run down the grassy slopes into Lairig Gartain, plus a geocache bagged for my mate Kev, finished off with a successful pint at the drovers Inn. Thanks to Kev, Dobbo, the Green Welly(Top Bacon Rolls at 6-30 in the morning), Meg the westie 14 & still rocking! 8)
Geocache King on Stob Dearg.JPG
mORE.JPG

Great Pics :thumbup:
Louise993
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Great stuff. I've had the big bookil on my hit list for a while now and was pondering whether it'd be suitable for my wee jack russell - your report has reassured me! :)
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland