walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac - Hill of peatbanks!

Carn Bhac - Hill of peatbanks!

Postby Redrock » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 15/08/2011

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 890m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been a few weeks since my last outing on the hills - with my 100th at Creag Meagaidh on 21 July. Family and work commitments had taken me elsewhere since but now Mrs R and I were at Braemar camping overnight and the opportunity was there for me to get back on the hills. And after an even longer break - since April - Mrs R was up for coming too. So the search was on for a reasonably straightforward Munro that we could climb. Carn Bhac seemed to fit the bill. I had climbed Beinn Iutharn Mhor from the south earlier in the year and only Carn Bhac remained to be ascended from Glen Ey. So I figured out the shortest route from Inverey was via Cairn nan Seileach using a hill track that climbs the ridge from the ruin at Auchelie - then I discovered that Kevsbald had just posted a walk report of that same route: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13447 (Thanks Kevsbald!) so that decided us that it was a route worth taking (but it did take us rather longer!)

We parked in the good wee car park at Inverey and set off up the lovely Glen Ey looking great in it's late summer colours.

P1070471.JPG
Glen Ey

I did pay a visit to The Colonel's Bed and wondered what finally happened to him after his time hiding out here with the help of his lady.

P1070477.JPG
The Colonel's Bed

But we had a hill to climb and Mrs R was already waiting for me at the ruin at Auchelie ready to start the climb up onto the Cairn nan Seileach ridge. So I thought I had better lead the way!

P1070482.JPG
At the Auchelie ruin

The track gave quick access to the ridge and the walking was very pleasant. It didn't have that bulldozed feel that some tracks have! :D Soon we could see Carn Bhac rising ahead of us.

P1070489.JPG
Carn Bhac from Cairn nan Seileach

But our track ended on the ridge just south of point 731m and we then had to set off across very boggy country! Not Mrs R's favourite ground. We were heading for the beallach to the east of Carn Bhac but as we contoured round Carn Creagach that involved some rather rough country!

P1070491.JPG
Rough country heading for Carn Bhac

Finally we made it to the beallach and from there the ascent was fairly straightforward - although through more peat bogs at first. The hill was certainly worthy of its name.

P1070495.JPG
The final ascent of Carn Bhac

It was nice to see some rocky ground at the summit. In fact the summit ridge seems to be a ridge made up of loose rock! The sun even came out for us as we rested and snacked at the cairn. :D

P1070501.JPG
The summit cairn - Carn Bhac

Now, I also like to visit (and bag! :lol: ) Munro tops. So I finally convinced Mrs R that it was worth the extra effort to visit the SW top of Carn Bhac and we set of to cover the extra couple of kilometres to get there and back. We both enjoyed the brisk ridge walk to the top and we took in views of the surrounding hills on the way.

P1070510.JPG
The south-west top - Carn Bhac

Beinn a' Ghlo seemed to be taking more of its fair share of the showers that day and it's summits were often in the cloud.

P1070512.JPG
Beinn a' Ghlo from Carn Bhac

By contrast the Cairngorms were looking much brighter most of the time - although with occasional dark clouds and heavy showers bearing down on them from time to time.

P1070513.JPG
The Cairngorms from Carn Bhac

The return route we took was round the shoulder of Carn Bac on its southern flank then towards Carn Creagach, taking a higher line on its north-west slope to stay on dryer and more walk-able ground, before descending to reach the track over Cairn nan Seileach again.

P1070516.JPG
Over the peat bog to Cairn nan Seileach

From there it was a good steady walk back to our starting point, spurred on by the promise of a fish supper at the Hungry Highlander at Braemar! :D

P1070518.JPG
Returning towards Glen Ey

It was a good day out and it got me back onto the hills again after a break. The weather was pretty good to us - with only one shower in the day. Did it get Mrs R back interested in walking the hills - or did the peat bogs put her off? Time alone will tell! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Carn Bhac - Hill of peatbanks!

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 pm

Lovely weather and some great photos redrock :D I approached this hill from the other side and also had to go through a lot of peat hags and bogs - guess I was very lucky though as it was the end of April and they were very dry which meant I could just walk through them as though going through a maze 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 pm

:D Great to see out and about again, Creag Meagaidh does seem some time ago now. Not been up this one myself yet, but know the area well. Been up and down the glen a couple of times and used to play down in the Colonel's Bed many years ago, bouldering and splashing around..... :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Another smashing report Redrock.

Glad you got great weather, certainly made for some cracking photos.
Hope Mrs R goes out with you again cos you both look fabbie in the summit pic :)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby carolsnowangel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:03 pm

It couldn't have been that bad really as we did Beinn Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich this week - the things you do to spend a day out with your man! :wave:
carolsnowangel

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby monty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Nice one Redrock.
Long walk for a single though :lol: but you did add the top as well. Looks like you got the best of the weather which always makes for a more pleasant time in the hills. :D
monty

Postby Redrock » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:52 am

monty wrote:Long walk for a single though :lol: but you did add the top as well. Looks like you got the best of the weather which always makes for a more pleasant time in the hills. :D

I did offer Mrs R the chance to go on to Beinn Iutharn Mhor but she took one look across the peat hags to its towering ridge and shook her head. I can't think why! :lol: :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Redrock » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:09 am

Hi Rockhopper, I did consider approaching this hill from the south myself back in may this year - along with son Daniel - but time and weather got the better of us! He reckoned it was great - "man against the elements". I reckoned it was rough - "elements against the man!" :lol:

P1060422.JPG
On Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Bod - the poor old Colonel never seems to get a lot of peace - all these people visiting him in his bed! :lol:

Polly - you'll be pleased to know that Mrs R (aka Carolsnowangel) and I have been seen huddled up at a cairn again this week - as fabbie as can be! :D

Hi Carol :wave:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland