walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby fifewalker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 22/08/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

...And so for my 4th munro, Schiehallion. After some not so ideal preparations in the preceding days - silver wedding do + cheap drink on Fri = being like a half shut knife on the Saturday, I was up and at 'em early on Sunday morning. Picking the girlfriend up en route and away for 8.40am from Perth, somehow we managed to get stuck in some kind of timewarp and it was 11am before we parked up and set out.

The day was perfect, dry and with blue skies, making me hopeful of seeing the much vaunted views at the top - especially after seeing absolutely nothing further than my arm at Ben Lawers! The car park was busy, with a good few people setting off around the same time. Saying that, we were on our won for the initial ramble up through the heather. Looking back, there were some pretty good views all round, although there was a swarm of some kind of flying insect that were everywhere. We passed ever upward and they thinned out soon enough though.

Scrambling up through the rocks was great fun, we had the weather and weren't in any great hurry so we stopped for a good few pics and some sightseeing. Again, there was a steady stream of folks at this part of the walk. The summit was eventually reached and time for a munch stop! We lingered there for a bit, then went back down again..honourable mention to the lovely Irish fella who took our summit pic for us!

All in all, a great romp up a fantastic hill in good weather! Gonna have a week off after the frantic pace I've set for my bagging (4 in 3 weeks, ha!) as the mrs is down in England visiting some pals. I'm not up for climbing any munro on my own yet so I'll be at Vane Farm looking at some birds or something (feathered ones, before anyone gets any ideas about what I get up to when the GF's away!)
Attachments
sha-me.JPG
The spine of Schiehallion (picture in the wrong order)
sha.JPG
on our tails...
sha1.JPG
Should have gone to Iceland
sha4.JPG
The rocky ascent
sha5.JPG
Nice view
sha6.JPG
Cairn
sha7.JPG
Him n Her
fifewalker
Backpacker

Munros:10   

Re: Schiehallion

Postby JonetCol » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 pm

looks like you had a great time and I'm glad you got the weather!
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby noofty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Good stuff.

Keep it up, you're coming on the Three Peaks challenge next year...
noofty

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby monty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 am

Nice one Fifewalker,
Some lovely views on a nice hill. I didnt see much from the top when i was up there. :D
monty

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland