walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Mor & Aonach Beag

Aonach Mor & Aonach Beag

Postby iainwatson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag and Aonach Mor from Glen Nevis

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mor

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 1534m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This weeks chosen route was Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag for no other reason than i wanted to visit the Nevis area again and if i didnt fancy my original route i could change and complete the last two of the Mammores i have still yet to do.Upon arriving at the carpark the weather seemed ok so i quickly got changed and set off toward the Steall ruins where i would again have the choice of heading onto Aonach Beag first via Sgurr a'Bhuic or to walk up to the corrie and ascend Aonach Mor first.
DSC02203.JPG
Sgurr a Bhuic on the right

With the cloud being low at this point i opted for Aonach Mor first hoping by the time i got there i the cloud would have lifted and i would get the views from at least one of the hills today.so off i trudged up the wet path that cuts off before the bridge,which got really boggy in places but i managed to get to the corrie in good time.
DSC02205.JPG
the sun piercing the cloud

As i headed for the col at the head of the corrie i was aware that the CMD Arete was to my left but again the low cloud was preventing me from seeing it and it was dis-heartening that when i reached the col the cloud hadnt lifted at all,which meant i couldnt really see any of my ascent route onto Aonach Mor.
DSC02211.JPG
my ascent-up that way somewhere

I basically made the mistake here of heading due east,straight up the very steep side of the hill(instead of heading up to the col between both hills) and spent the next 40 odd minutes cursing and swearing at the route i had taken "what the f*** am i doing,i'm a walker not a climber".i have to say that for the most part i was having to use my hands to get hold of clumps of grass and the odd rock to get up here and its certainly NOT a route i would recommend to any walkers unless you like the 'thrill' that this way gives you.
DSC02212.JPG
looking down to the corrie from halfway up my (dodgy) ascent route

Eventually i reached the cloud covered summit and picked up the path to the summit where i stopped briefly to get a picture and spoke to a couple of guys who had come from up the north.
DSC02218.JPG
Aonach Mor summit

Thankfully as i was leaving the summit and heading for Aonach Beag the cloud started to clear and i could see my route clearly ahead of me
DSC02224.JPG
the route to Aonach Beag opens up

so i pressed on and reached the summit of Aonach Beag in great time and i have to say i was blown away by the views which were now appearing,in every direction.The Grey Corries,Carn Mor Dearg,the Arete and the Mammores all came into view and i began to think i had found an area in Scotland that i could compare,views wise,to Glencoe-my favourite area in the whole country so far.
DSC02237.JPG
Aonach Beag summit

DSC02227.JPG
The Grey Corries

DSC02231.JPG
Carn Mor Dearg

DSC02233.JPG
looking south east from the summit of Aonach Beag

DSC02241.JPG
the 'Ben' still hiding in the cloud

DSC02244.JPG
The Mammores

With lots of photos and videos taken i headed off following the path along the edge of the mountain and in the direction of Sgurr a Bhuic,which i chose to skirt round the side of rather than go over and eventually came across a boggy path which would eventually lead me back to the bridge at the Steall ruins and from there it was a short walk back to the car park

Even with the low cloud for most of the morning i really enjoyed the walk and i suppose i hadnt really thought about how stunning the views would be which was a bonus when they did appear,i cant wait to walk in this area again,especially the Grey Corries although this weekends weather reports of snow/sleet for the area may force me to walk further east but i'd hope to get over the Grey Corries ridge before the Kintail meet which is fast approaching :D
iainwatson
Walker

Munros:265   Corbetts:15
Grahams:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Aonach Mor & Aonach Beag

Postby smudger71 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm

I did this route the other way around last month and the 'path' down from Aonach Mor is easier to find on descent as there is a cairn at the top... it doesnt join at the col it joins about 200m northwards on Aonach Mor....but to be honest even with a path it was pretty rough going and we spent more time off it than on...
smudger71
Mountain Walker

Munros:126   Corbetts:13
Grahams:4   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:5   

Postby monty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Nice walk Ian,
Your ascent up Aonach Mor is very steep and rocky as I recall from last month. I went up the ridgeline about 80m south of your ascent. Steep but mostly grass. Some great views from the top though when the weather allows. :D
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Nice stuff Iain!
Please tell me that there was an easier option but wasn't visible because of the bad weather :lol:
pollyh33
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:12
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby iainwatson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 am

thanks for the comments,i was supposed to ascend where monty was talking about but got it wrong and was too far north so i only have myself to blame,with no cloud i might have been able to see my error before i did it but a great walk with outstanding views when the weather allows
iainwatson
Walker

Munros:265   Corbetts:15
Grahams:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby johnnyaztec » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:36 pm

smudger71 wrote:I did this route the other way around last month and the 'path' down from Aonach Mor is easier to find on descent as there is a cairn at the top... it doesnt join at the col it joins about 200m northwards on Aonach Mor....but to be honest even with a path it was pretty rough going and we spent more time off it than on...

Ditto that,i think the cairn is just a rough guide to the way down,we spent a while trying to locate that in the clag,and wondered as we descended had we come the right way down.but im sure its a killer on the legs whichever way you do it.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:6
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:211
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland