walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tyre blow-out cuts 3 down to 2

Tyre blow-out cuts 3 down to 2

Postby iainwatson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 29/08/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 824m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My initial plan for these hills was to walk/cycle then move further up the road and add Meall Chuiaich to save having to come back for it,i had checked walk reports and i reckoned i could complete the first two in 3.5 hours with Meall Chuiach maybe going to take 2.5 hrs if i used my bike.Well my plans were almost blown out of the water when i woke at 9am-4 hrs later than planned but i headed up anyway and still thought that if i could get round the first two in three and a half hours the last one would still be achievable and i'd be home at a decent time.
DSC02245.JPG
start of the walk just off the A9 at the building site

i arrived at the lay-by and was on my way for half eleven on my bike which didnt last long as the steep rocky path up to 900m was too much for me so i proceeded to push the bike most of the way up which i have to say was very tiring.
DSC02246.JPG
looking back toward the A9 from 900m

Upon reaching the top of the path i was glad to see that the paths leading to both Munro's were fairly easy gradients but i was slightly taken aback by the bland scenery which was on offer but i pressed on and headed out toward A'Bhuidheanach first and reached the end of the landrover track in quick time on the bike.A dip down to a small stream followed by a steady incline all the way got me to the first summit where i only stopped for a quick photo
DSC02254.JPG
A'Bhuidheanach summit

before heading back the way i came to where the path splits and headed out toward Carn na Caim.Much of this is landrover tracks but its still possible to cycle all the way to the summit with only a small section of peat hags to cross just short of the summit.
DSC02256.JPG
the featureless hillside leading to Carn nan Caim

DSC02259.JPG
Carn na Caim summit

Again i reached the second summit in great time due to the bike but i was slightly concerned that my front tyre was slowly losing air but i got my summit pic and headed back as fast as i could manage,looking forward to free-wheeling all the way down the steep track to the van

But just as i started the downwhill ride disaster struck,my front tyre blew out and as the inner tube got caught up in the brakes it ripped the valve from the tube.......bugger!
DSC02263.JPG
disaster-i've lost a tyre!

i was left with the decision of whether to walk back down with the bike or try and cycle without a front tyre...............i chose the shockingly boneshaking option of going on the bike which was fairly unpleasant to say the least but it managed to get me back to the van in short time and kept me right on the 3.5 hrs i had set for these two.

It was now 3 o'clock and i was still on course to drive up to Meall Chuiach but after studying the map i knew that to get the last one finished in 2.5 hrs was pretty optimistic without my bike so with much regret i chose to head home,cursing the blow-out that had scuppered the final leg of my intended route

These Munro's are probably best left till the winter,very un-inspiring at this time of the year with poor views and bland outlooks although maybe a different route would make it a better walk,still its another couple off the list,although adding in Meall Chuiach would have certainly made the trip more worthwhile for me
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Tyre blow-out cuts 3 down to 2

Postby jonny616 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Bad luck on the bike front, but a nice winter walk up the third one should be good.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby MG1976 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Nice report!
Bad luck on the tyre issue.

Something to consider for the future.
If you're not carrying, or are out of spare tubes, there is an alternative solution to riding without an inner tube.

I was once given this tip by an "old timer" many years ago, so i'm not claiming it as my own idea.
I didn't believe it until i tried it, but it really does work.

Remove the ruined tube, and if you can find enough around, pack the tyre with longer grass/straw until you have just enough in it to stop the sidewall collapsing on itself.
Once you've packed in as much as you can, fit the tyre back onto the rim, and hay presto, you have given yourself just enough cushioning to allow you to ride with the tyre on, sparing your rim (and you teeth) from a boneshaking ride back to base/car.

This has served me well on the Coast-to-Coast Route on 2 occasions.
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby iainwatson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 pm

cheers mg,thats something i would never have thought of but i'll certainly remember it for future use :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby monty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Different report Ian. Not a great deal of luck on the day. Never thought of taking a bike all the way. This is one of the few circuits you could do that I think though. :D You can by self sealing inner tubes from tesco. I got some for my bike. The gunge inside seals any puntures you might get. :D
monty

Postby kinley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 pm

They can be nice in winter - we went up them as winter newbies - got very fond memories of that day.

Shame about the puncture - thankfully my feet have never done that yet. ;)
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland