walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An unplanned walk up Creise

An unplanned walk up Creise

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having spend all summer camping in Glen Etive to climb numerous mountains around, Creise was the one I looked up every morning and night, wondering which route would be the best one up. Following a well trodden path is great, but sometimes to pick a path yourself without the help of any map or tools is still my prefered way up! :D
DSCF5453.jpg

So one Sunday after I packed up my camping gear, when I was just about to leave Glen Etive to drive home, I decided to have a hike up Creise, after all the weather was too good to leave just yet.

After I crossed river Etive (sounds easy on a lovely summers day, but being attacked by 20 or more clegs at the same time slapping my arm and legs wildly, while trying to balance on wet rocks, nearly send me crashing in the water a few times) :lol:
DSCF5409.jpg
The first part of the walk was nice and soon started to get steeper

DSCF5413.jpg
Looking back towards the road

DSCF5414.jpg
Ben Nevis in the distance

The walk up Creise worked out the way I planned from the ground. From Glen Etive I walked up the left side of the hill and looking at the mountain and path ahead of me I planned the next 200m or so while making my way slowly up the hill. It was pretty steep at times but climbing up a path you made yourself was pretty exciting and defenetely took my mind of my burning legs
DSCF5427.jpg

When I nearly covered 3/4 of the visible face from the bottom I found a path, which I guessed was the suggested walk up. As it started to get really rocky I decided to stay on the path, although up there I could see a lot of exciting scambling options (although maybe a bit safer not to do that alone)

I reached the first summit point and the view was spectacluar
DSCF5424.jpg

Walking up further (there are 2 summet points before you reach the real summit, although the first one is still my favorite)I made my way to the top

DSCF5442.jpg
Near the summit...checking the map for the first time, while enjoying the view

DSCF5446.jpg
Me on the summit

Having spend too long sitting down enjoying the sunshine and talking to other hillwalkers I decided to take the straight route down. It did look really easy...

DSCF5447.jpg

But it was actually really hard going and send me sliding and falling on my bum a few times
DSCF5448.jpg

But I made it and made a mental note to take my swimming gear the next time, as the pool close to the point where I parked the car looked rather inviting!

DSCF5450.jpg
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: An unplanned walk up Creise

Postby iainwatson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:49 pm

brilliant pictures and a lovely area,liked the alternative route :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 pm

nice report and great pictures, i was on bideam nam bian that day,and what a day it was.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 pm

You picked the perfect spot for camping. I love this glen and all the hills around here too. Haven't done this hill from this direction (did it round the back), but your picture of the scramble looked inviting :D I may have to return 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland