walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Path Repair on Nevis

Path Repair on Nevis

Postby wolf1973 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:45 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 29/08/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Now before I start this report I would just like to take a second to say that as the header hints this is about path repair and NOT the climb to the top (We only went as far as the half way lochan (lochan Meall an t-Suidhe)) :oops:

It was a crisp Monday morning as i left the Glen Nevis camp site and headed to what I thought was the meeting point at the info centre, it was to be the hotel at Achintee :?

Once I had met up with the rest of the merry band who were going up for a wee bit of manual labour, Martin (team leader/path guru), Anna (Nevis Foundation commity), Patrick (Mountain man and possibly the hardest grafter I know), David (part man part mountain goat) and Me (the hanger on :lol: )

As you can imagin I didnt get much of a chance to take photos on the way up, as we all had picks, spades and big yellow buckets to carry to the work site.

My athsma got the best of me half way to the lochan but still managed to carry a pick, loosing my spade to another member of the group.

But once on the relitave flatness of the midway point got my head together and set in for a bit of work

Only managed to get a few photos (but i think Anna got some of us actualy working :lol:
100_0114.JPG
Looking back

100_0115.JPG
Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe

100_0118.JPG
The view from my office window (I wish)

100_0119.JPG
Thats finnished, just the meltwater run's to clear

We slogged on for roughly 5hrs shoring up the path with stone and peat, then worked on the meltwater chanels and smaller rain chanels!

I had an utterly unforgetable time with the group and plan to join in again!

It is a fantastic feeling to give a little time and effort back into something that I (and can only guess we all) love.

The amount of walkers that day that stopped to say thanks was unexpected, it made me so happy and proud to lend a hand to the Nevis foundation/Friends of Nevis, I couldnt have asked for more!" :D :thumbup: :clap:
wolf1973
Mountain Walker

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Path Repair on Nevis

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:11 am

Well done!

Feel exhausted at the very thought of lugging all that equipment up the side of a mountain! You deserve all the thank-you's. Hope you all relaxed with a refreshment afterwards :D
pollyh33
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:15
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Path Repair on Nevis

Postby wolf1973 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Polly

Realy was an amazing day and yes i did partake of a few libations when we got back :lol:
wolf1973
Mountain Walker

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland