walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor,,,Check!

Buachaille Etive Mor,,,Check!

Postby GillC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On a slightly grey day, we departed Chryston just after 7 to head for Glencoe and a bit of a lifetime achievement for me. Buachaille Etive Mor!

This is a hill I have stared up at in awe for many years,, normally under a cover of cloud in the Glen of Tears. Margaret and I were using this as a starting point of a wee adventure week, Glencoe, then Skye (initial plan was to include Nevis at the end but Skye was so glorious,,we just stayed another day there instead)

The weather turned a bit grey with heavy downpours as we kitted up at the Altnafeadh car park. But there were plenty of people heading out on the path across to the Coire Na Tulaich gully. We have been told of the Curved Ridge ascent and while we gave this some thought at the time,,on the day,,we decided to err on the side of caution and use the tried and tested (and obviously very popular route)

Before long, the rain had stopped and although the clouds swirled low above us, the wind was strong enough to keep it moving and the going was good. After the move across the footbridge to the bottom of the gully, you again have to cross the river running down the hill, no easy task and we enlisted the assistance of another pair to get across. We then start to climb the rocky gully, no let up in this until you reach the plateau at the top. We met several groups of climbers, some forces guys on their way to visit a memorial to one of their comrades.

Seriously strong winds up here but dry and clear skies and views between the clouds. Couldnt believe I was now right on the top of Stob Dearg, looking down on the cars full of people looking up. (phoned mum from here, and waved from the pic of the hill on her living room wall, could she really see my wee orange jacket, way up there?)

The walk back down off Dearg back over to the ridge was easy going, the wind made our waterproofs like sails,,really strong but thoroughly enjoyed it.
DSCN0803.JPG
Told you it was windy!
Back over the Coire Cloiche Finne, where the views over to the Devils Staircase were bright and clear. Was thinking back to my journey on the West Highland Way earlier this year, now looking down on it.
DSCN0807.JPG
Me on Mor, with Beag and A E Ridge behind.
DSCN0809.JPG
View down to the Devils Staircase

We carried on over the top of Stob Na Doire, which at 1011 mtrs was little short of Dearg but isn't a Munro.
DSCN0808.JPG
Back end of Stob Dearg
We continued round over Stob Coire Altrium and met the two who helped us over the river earlier in the morning. After a brief discussion about the windy conditions, we wished them well and carried on up to the second Munro (at 956 mtrs) on the ridge, Stob Na Broige. The views down Glen Etive from here were incredible.
DSCN0814.JPG
Margaret and Glen Etive from Broige
DSCN0817.JPG
Glen Etive from Broige
We could see for miles and looking all around, we could see Rannoch Moor, Buachille Etive Beag, the Aonach Eagach ridge.

We stopped here for a fuel top up and headed back over the top of Altrium to the path of descent. The path down follows the Altrium burn and is very steep to start with, think this is where Margaret had her first fall of the day,,not sure why she left it so long :lol:

So far, we had stayed dry and comfortable but as we got to the valley floor and had to cross the River Coupall to reach the path down, the water was very high so we followed a directive that says stay on this side of the river back down to the footbridge we crossed on the way up......simple? no, boggy wet, muddy and downright flippin awful. We started picking our way across this by clumps of grass and rocks etc, but by this time we'd been out for a good 7 hrs and eventually we just traipsed through whatever the soggy ground threw at us. But the sun was shining and hey, we were heading for a hot shower, dinner and live music night at the Clachaig,,so who cares?

Reached the footbridge and the wee white cottage, sun on our backs and smiles on our wee faces. What a great sense of achievment.
DSCN0829.JPG
Bagged!
This iconic symbol of Scotland at its monumental rocky best......under our belts. Wonderful! And to see Glencoe and the surrounding lands without its shroud of rain and cloud was even more inspiring. Great day. As I said,,we then headed for the Red Squirrel campsite behind the Clachaig for a welcome dinner of Haggis, Neeps and Tatties (with a Drambuie pepper sauce) all prepared on our wee stoves,
DSCN0836.JPG
Yum!
by the river under a sunny Sgorr nam Fiannaidh,
IMG01124-20110820-1931.jpg
View from the tent,,how good is that?
few beers then off to the pub for a boogie,
IMG01127-20110820-2108.jpg
I can hear the band from here!
Smashing stuff.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor,,,Check!

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks,thats a good report with some nice photos, one I'd like to do soon, but will have to wait until my son gets time off college.
Had to look twice to see what was cleaner, the plates or the Peroni bottles !!! :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 pm

You cant beat the Buachaille!!! Its my favorite!!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Redrock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Well done! :D The Buachaille is a great mountain to conquer! It's amazing how good food (and beer!) tastes after a day like that! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby morag1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:27 am

A great walk and a fun end to the day - well done :thumbup:

Every Scot should climb the Buchaille at least once
Em....Ive not done it yet but got plans for next year :D
morag1

Postby GillC » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Haha Morag,,get yourself up there,,amazing! :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Larrbeez » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 pm

heading for same tomorrow for sunday...enjoyed your report.. bri
Larrbeez
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:19   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland