walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High heels, Stags, Nudes and other things you see on hills

High heels, Stags, Nudes and other things you see on hills

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having just walked over 15h two days prior, I had only one requirement for my hike up Bidean nam Bian ...
take it easy! I dont know what it is, but why on earth is everyone starting their hikes around 10:00h or earlier, thats me included by the way :-) Trying to break the cycle, I got up late and starting my walk at noon (it felt rather odd) and I am not sure if you ever tried to get a parking space in Glen Coe in the mid of summer on a beautiful sunny day...lets say it was challenging!

I decided to head up to the Lost Valley and after squeezing myself through a bus load of Chinese tourists who were busy talking pictures, I was finally on the path. After the first 20 minutes with no real option to venture either left or right, I had to overtake the local OAP walking group...in general they are eager to move out of the way, until you reach someone who clearly didnt switch on their hearing aids...no amount of coughing, speaking or shouting will help -when I was ready to use my last reserve...poke them with my pole...the path widened I and I able to walk past...
The Lost Valley was filled with half of Sauchiehall Street, or so it seemed. People who you simply cant believe they would actually venture outs to the hills were found here,including a woman in high heels !!!
So much for a peaceful walk up the mountains...at that day I am sure a local builder would have considered to build a heated outdoor pool in the Lost Valley and road up to it ! Passing numerous picnic blankets, sunbathers and BBQs, I fled the crowds and headed up further the hills.

Finally 45min after leaving the car, I had the piece and quiet I was looking for. In front of me I saw 2 people and when I came closer I noticed one of the type of couples you will find up the 'cool' hills preferable on sunny days. He dressed in the latest outdoor gear and trying to break the world record in walking up the hill. She in fashionable jeans, brand new hiking boots and a pretty T-shirt, trying to keep up with him, while doing her best in looking immaculate. I walked behind them for a while chuckling to myself, as I could see in her eyes that this was the last time she was ever going to climb any kind of hill (or speak to him)

On the final stretch I came to the last bit of winters snow and I have to say walking through deep snow in shorts is great!!! A slightly bizarre feeling, but when are you ever wearing shorts in winter?
I walked up Stob Coire Sgreamhach had a short rest to take some photos and made my way to Bidean nam Bian Half way up I met a group of young girls, who were in a serious discussion about the 'talent' up the hill that day...
Hilarious!!!

Reaching the top of Bidean nam Bian I took it easy and had a long lunch, enjoying the sunshine and the views.
The fashion couple finally arrived, he was busy checking his watch for time, why she looked like close to collapse, only to be ordered around to stand here and there so that he could take photos of her...if looks could kill he would have died in an instant! I felt rather sorry for her at the time.

Letting my mind drift after they left, I remembered a story I was told by a hillwalker once. He walked up a remote Munro, reached the top and surprised another guy who was sunbathing completely starkers....not being sure who was more embarrassed... Ever since I heard the story, remote Munros dont seem that bad anymore :-) although might have to wait for the next sunny day ;-)

The walk back via Stob Coire nan Lochan was just amazing, as I did not passed a single soul, in fact the area was so inviting that I wished I brought my tent for some wild camping. Thinking that the walk back could
not be topped in any other way was wrong, as I was greeted by a herd of stags at the bottom of the hills. They seemed non startled and I remember sitting down for about half an hour while watching them.

Having nearly forgotten about the crowds earlier that day, I was rather confused by a group of 2 men and 2 women who walked past me. Dressed for a night in a beer garden, wearing canvas shoes???, no bags and
with a look on their faces, which let me believe they were determent to reach the top, they stormed past me. By that time it was nearly 20:00 and it left me wondering if any parties are happing on hills at night, I simply weren't aware of -yet! With a last bewildered look I turned around and made my way towards my car.

Clearly leaving early gets you away from the 'tourists', but I rather enjoyed the crowds which seem to follow us 'normal' hillwalkers.

DSCF4607.jpg
Looking back frokm the Lost Valley
DSCF4613.jpg
The Lost Valley after leaving the crowds
DSCF4621.jpg
Snow!!!
DSCF4644.jpg
Bidean nam Bian in the distance
DSCF4651.jpg
Looking back towards Stob Coire Sgreamhach
DSCF4660.jpg
The Aonach Eagach Ridge
DSCF4665.jpg
Looking down from Stob Coire nan Lochan
DSCF4719.jpg
A stag ready to sleep
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: High heels, Stags, Nudes and other things you see on hills

Postby nzt2011 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Also bumped into some "daytrippers" up there, no maps, bags etc...asking how do I get down? Cracking mountain, favourite so far, went up the other way around, bit of good scrambling up Stob Coire nan Lochan before on to Bidean. Nice pics, see mine for when it can all go wrong lol.
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm

appreciate the report but I'm of the belief that the hils are there to enjoyed by everyone; regardless of whether they have stepped out for the first time or the 100th time.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Looks like a fine day out, but I'm with GGE on this - best to remember we're all tourists in the hills :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kevsbald » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Whooooaaaa - nice shot of the stag.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Exciting rocky terrain Mountainlove. Need to get up there soon. I always start early so i miss the crowds on the way in :D
Great picture of the Monarch of the Glen :D
monty

Postby steven671 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:56 pm

no time for tourist`s,anywhere,anytime. :)
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 am

Please do take pictures of the people you meet, would make an interesting contrast in your series of pix. You know, 'normal' hillwalkers can look positively weird too, especially the very serious looks on their faces.

And hey, where's the self portrait? The epitome of very-fit-female-hillwalkerness :silent: (where's the smiley depicting a man on a remote munro...)
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland