walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bagpipes, Drums, Big Bands, Venison, and Carn Bhac

Bagpipes, Drums, Big Bands, Venison, and Carn Bhac

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Carn Bhac

Date walked: 03/09/2011

Time taken: 4.9 hours

Distance: 22.8 km

Ascent: 944m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thanks very much to the kind person that organised the big band for the off; don't you just love the sound of this in full flow; warms the bones!! Turn the sound up...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxNcn1kjKI[/youtube]

Drizzle was the forecast, with low cloud and a 30% chance of cloud free munros so I thought I'd enjoy a nice leisurely walk up Glen Ey... The drizzle largely abated and it was a peaceful jaunt to the ruins at Altanour Lodge in a little over an hour and a half...

DSCN1016.JPG
Glen Ey - Section 1

DSCN1017.JPG
Glen Ey - Section 2

DSCN1018.JPG
Glen Ey - Section 3

As I crossed the second bridge a few hundred metres before the ruins of Altanour Lodge, as if by magic, the weather cleared up, and the views toward the summit of Beinn lutharn Mhor were stunning. Bonus I thought; I was expecting a good soaking today…

DSCN1020.JPG
Looking toward Altanour Ruins and Beinn lutharn Mhor

From the ruins it's a fairly short pull of a couple of km and 450 metres height gain over heather and gentle boggy slopes to the summit of Carn Bhac

DSCN1028.JPG
Carn Bhac - Number 135...

To mix it up a little bit I descended via a different route bagging the summit of Carn Creagach at 894 metres… The views were pretty good, and since the send off from the big band, I was still yet to see a soul… And that would continue all the way back...

DSCN1035.JPG
The summit of Carn Creagach with Carn Bhac behind...

DSCN1036.JPG
The summit of Carn Creagach with An Socach behind...

DSCN1033.JPG
View to the Cairngorms from Carn Creagach

On the descent one last look back at Carn Bhac; glad I didn't come up this way I was thinking...

DSCN1038.JPG
The view back to Carn Bhac...

And then all hell broke loose... I stumbled across a huge herd of 150 or so deer; of course they cleared out pretty sharpish... But what a sight; I love seeing things like this in the wild; it's one of the best things about Scotland; it's so undisturbed compared to the Lake District or other places... Enjoy; they just kept coming, even after the end of the video!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwpG3aOEItQ[/youtube]

And after that special sight all that remained was to drop back down into Glen Ey and return to the car...

DSCN1044.JPG
Homeward Bound - Glen Ey

The stats... A reasonable pace, but a lot of this walk is along tracks so you can move...

DSCN1046.JPG
The Stats...

And finally, the route...

2011 - 09 - 03 - Carn Bhac.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Bagpipes, Drums, Big Bands, Venison, and Carn Bhac

Postby kw1980 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Excellent report, love the herd of deer, ive never seen so many together in the wild.
kw1980
Walker

Munros:26   

Re: Bagpipes, Drums, Big Bands, Venison, and Carn Bhac

Postby morag1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:24 am

That video of the deer is incredible, who would have believed there would have been so many running wild like that ?

Also enjoyed the pipe band, as you say it warms the heart :thumbup:
morag1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland