walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The secret recipe for the Aonach Eagach

The secret recipe for the Aonach Eagach

by Mountainlove » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The secret recipe for the Aonach Eagach

Postby trekpete » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:36 am

Looks like you got perfect conditions for this great ridge walk. Nicely put together video.
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:05 am

Great video and a couple of cracking pics to go with it, love the view along the ridge looking south :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby junaidj988 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:32 am

trekpete wrote:Looks like you got perfect conditions for this great ridge walk. Nicely put together video.

yeah it nice done thanks and also thanks to Mountainlove for delicious secret recipe. 8)
junaidj988

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Simply wonderful... The recipe certainly worked! :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jwramsay » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Having just done the AE yesterday, I'll revisit the photo with the guy in blue.

That is off the ridge for sure and I can't think of any need to be doing that type of move.

Over the top of the rocks if definately best!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am

jwramsay wrote:Having just done the AE yesterday, I'll revisit the photo with the guy in blue.
That is off the ridge for sure and I can't think of any need to be doing that type of move.
Over the top of the rocks if definately best!

Thats good to know as I wanted to do the ridge again at some point and definitely didnt fancy that bit again :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby GillC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi,, great pics and report,,,My friend and I are planning to take on the ridge at the end of April. did you do the whole walk without ropes etc? ,seem to see many conflicting reports as to whether you need them or not? We have a tendency to wander of our route,,,so trying to do as much research as poss before going. Cheers
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Ladylou2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 am

Great Report and I love the video. I did AE on Saturday. Luckily the weather was brilliant and the ridge was very dry. I would not like to attempt this ridge in the wet. We also came across several 'bypass' routes, but we found that sticking to the rock is the best option - it may look easier taking a bypass route but these tend to end in looses scree with drops off the side :shock: If in doubt stick to the ridge and do like i did - alot of bum shuffling :lol: :lol:
Ladylou2
Hill Bagger

Munros:129   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 pm

GillC wrote:Hi,, great pics and report,,,My friend and I are planning to take on the ridge at the end of April. did you do the whole walk without ropes etc? ,seem to see many conflicting reports as to whether you need them or not? We have a tendency to wander of our route,,,so trying to do as much research as poss before going. Cheers

Yes I did the whole route without ropes and on a sunny day thats no problem at all...only a few did the route with ropes, but in my opinion you dont need them.

Ladylou2 wrote:Great Report and I love the video. I did AE on Saturday. Luckily the weather was brilliant and the ridge was very dry. I would not like to attempt this ridge in the wet. We also came across several 'bypass' routes, but we found that sticking to the rock is the best option - it may look easier taking a bypass route but these tend to end in looses scree with drops off the side :shock: If in doubt stick to the ridge and do like i did - alot of bum shuffling :lol: :lol:

Great that you managed the ridge as well :clap: ...Saturday was a great day for it! As you said in the wet I would not like it either :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland