walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

Postby Pelter99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 04/09/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I found this an absolute killer with the path really heavy going for the first hour or so of the ascent. We walked Ben vane a few weeks earlier which was heavy under-foot but nothing compared to this. Nice walk in if you ignore the pylons. The cairn marks the start of the path which starts fifty metres or so by it.
Ben Vorlich 04-09-11 065.JPG

Ben Vorlich 04-09-11 064.JPG

On a plus the weather was pretty good with the sun making an appearence now and then which made the ascent that bit more pleasant.
After an hour the path starts to level out and the going gets that bit easier, (For me anyway). With good views back down to the dam and Loch Sloy.
Ben Vorlich 04-09-11 057.JPG

Eventually making top the we grabbed a bite of lunch at the Cairn
Ben Vorlich 04-09-11 022.JPG

Nice views of the Loch Lomond islands
Ben Vorlich 04-09-11 040.JPG

Glad that I got it out the way and in the end it turned out a good walk albeit a bit of a gruelling one for me. I must be coming down with something, that's my excuse. Anyway I'll be ready for another next week. :D
Pelter99
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Nice pics pelter, this was my first Munro and I remember it being a killer too. In fact most walk reports I've read on people doing Vorlich from this side seem to think the ascent is real steep. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby Pelter99 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 pm

It appears to be, but once you get further up its a good walk in,

Thanks.
Pelter99
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland