walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Postby cjwaugh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 07/08/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Starting from the car park at the end of the road after loch viol and loch doine then follow the road past the farm.
Picture 004.jpg

Cross the wooden bridge over the river then through the gate which is sign posted for the hills in question then you join a farm track up through the glen.
Picture 006.jpg

I decided to do this route in revers it was not intentional but it turned out to be a pleasant way to do it ,so at the end of the farm track i took to the hill side climbing straight up towards the bealach between Tulaichean and Ardrain where the first glimpse of the later is shown.
Picture 010.jpg

Once the bealach is reached follow the clear path to the right until the top of Ardrain is reached hear there is a large cairn .
Picture 016.jpg

with good views all round including Ben More and Stob Binien and of course the next top of the day .
Picture 020.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Walk back down to the bealach and continue along the track to the second top of the day Bienn Tulaichean.
Picture 018.jpg

From the top follow the path down the back of the hill back towards the farm track which gives good views down the lochs .
Picture 030.jpg

This is a long slog down steep and boggy ground but once the track is picked up its easy walking back to the car park.
All in all a good 5 hours 30 minuets for me and with the clear weather an excellent walk .
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Re: Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Postby Alan S » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:04 pm

great pics cj
these 2 are my next target to finish crianlarich so thanks for that :thumbup:
like the shot of stob binnein and ben more although it does send a shiver down my spine when i look at the steep slopes of stob binnein again :shock:
i was going to start with beinn tulaichean,over cruach ardrain and down stob garbh to join the track down the inverlochairig burn.anyone else done this :?:

cheers alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby munrowalker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Really nice to see these two hills done the other way around, I did them starting at Glen Falloch, up the grey heights. For a while reading your report I couldn't even remember doing them as they are such different hills the other way round.

But on reflection I'd definetely agree that your way round is the best way, up the grey heights is a long slong across a muddy rise, and must admit didn't enjoy it that much. Your way round seems so much better!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:15 pm

alan sherry wrote:great pics cj
these 2 are my next target to finish crianlarich so thanks for that :thumbup:
like the shot of stob binnein and ben more although it does send a shiver down my spine when i look at the steep slopes of stob binnein again :shock:
i was going to start with beinn tulaichean,over cruach ardrain and down stob garbh to join the track down the inverlochairig burn.anyone else done this :?:

cheers alan

Cheers Alan yes ben more and stob binnein are the last two in this range i have to do it will probably be my next trip out have to say though ben more is a big lump of a hill don't relish that one at all :lol:
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby yokehead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Good report cj, brought back memories of this fine area, I particularly liked Cruach Ardrain. Like you I still have The Ben & Stob to climb, when I do I'll go the way that Alan did, from the south, I think this'll give a more rewarding day.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Yes, good report cj - thanks.

From past debates I do seem to be the only person who prefers Ben More and Stob Binnein from the north, so you don't have to reclimb either of the peaks as you descend from the bealach. It's not so steep as they say :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby MiniRambo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:37 pm

Great pics CJ, especially like the last one which shows the view I never had as the mist was down when I reached the summit of Tulaichean. Cheers. :D :D
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland