walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruachan Charna (Isle of Carna)

Cruachan Charna (Isle of Carna)

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruachan Charna (Carna)

Date walked: 03/09/2011

Time taken: 1 hours

Ascent: 170m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very short walk up a seldom-climbed Scottish Marilyn
(To date, no-one has logged climbing this one on Walk Highlands).

A couple of weeks ago, I organised the charter of a boat to take over me to the Isle of Carna, which is situated in Loch Sunart. I undertook the trip on Saturday morning with Ardnamurchan Charters – highly recommended :).

The downside to organising trips so far in advance is that you have to take your chances with the weather. On Saturday, the weather was pants!

I set out from the Corran Bunkhouse, took the Corran ferry over to Ardgour and then drove round to Laga Bay in Ardnamurchan.

It rained pretty-much non-stop throughout the morning, so the photos were taken very quickly whilst trying to keep the camera dry.

Ardnamurchan Charters, Laga Bay:

Laga Bay jetty:

Isle of Carna from Laga Bay:

To get to the Isle of Carna, I set out with the staff who manage and maintain the holiday homes on the Isle of Carna. To get back to Laga Bay, after the walk, I was taken across on my own on a smaller boat.

Looking back to Laga Bay:

Isle of Carna:

Approaching the jetty on the Isle of Carna:

Cruachan Charna:

On departing the boat, I was given some friendly advice about the easiest way up the hill – go up through the trees and carry on to the top of the gully then ascend the final section round the back of Cruachan Charna. I was advised the only route to avoid was up through the slabby rocks.

Isle of Carna jetty (in-bound and out-bound boats):

Looking back towards jetty:

I set off, accompanied by the boat owner's dogs. One of the dogs accompanied me all the way to the summit and back :D.

Approaching small wood:

Tag:

Exiting the small wood:

Following faint path through deep grass:

After passing the wood, I decided to ascend the shoulder to the right of the wide gully. This led to the steep slabby section that I was advised to avoid. This route did however avoid large areas of high bracken.

I still had to pass through a few small sections of waist to shoulder high bracken before using deep heather as handholds to ascend the steep rocky section.

Ascending steeply through bracken:

It was a bit of a relief to reach the summit area – the cairn is the summit.

Looking back towards jetty from summit area of Cruachan Charna:

Tag at the summit of Cruachan Charna:

I wasn't keen to descend the same way, so I headed for the top of the wide gully and then back down the hill towards the jetty.

Descent from top of wide gully:

On reaching the jetty, I was taken back across to Laga Bay in a wee fast boat.

A bit of an adventure, shame about the weather.
foggieclimber

Re: Cruachan Charna (Isle of Carna)

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Brilliant Foggie, shame about the weather but kudos to you for making the effort to reach this Marilyn - I reckon you'll be the only walk report on the site for this one for quite some time. Some great photo's with real atmosphere - great effort :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 pm

ChrisW wrote:Brilliant Foggie, shame about the weather but kudos to you for making the effort to reach this Marilyn - I reckon you'll be the only walk report on the site for this one for quite some time. Some great photo's with real atmosphere - great effort :D

Not if I have anything to do with it. :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:03 pm

That's what I call dedication!!! :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Allways good to read reports on those little rare hills and glad you had the dog for company :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:12 am

What a great adventure and fun day! Going to go and check my map too to check out the island, and what a fun dog too! Cheers the noo..... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby kevsbald » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:16 pm

For some reason the old advert where the guy says 'that's devotion for ye' comes to mind. Nice one.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:47 pm

kevsbald wrote:For some reason the old advert where the guy says 'that's devotion for ye' comes to mind. Nice one.

Pea and ham soup ... from a chicken?!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:01 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Brilliant Foggie, shame about the weather but kudos to you for making the effort to reach this Marilyn - I reckon you'll be the only walk report on the site for this one for quite some time. Some great photo's with real atmosphere - great effort :D

You gonna do it by Kayak, BV?..Like a kind of Triathalon!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby davetherave » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 am

Did the dog enjoy the day as much as you.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Avocetboy wrote:
BoyVertiginous wrote:

You gonna do it by Kayak, BV?..Like a kind of Triathlon!

Kayak or Pioneer craft from Laga (as pictured by foggie) depends on weather ... and the development of balls of steel for the kayak leg!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Had the boat out for the day on Thursday (20-Oct-11) which had looked promising early morning. Picked it up from Ardnamurchan Charters at Laga Bay before 9am, motored up to Hotel Bay, collected my father-in-law and got in a couple of hours fishing the Risga channel and Glenborrodale Bay. Back to Hotel Bay and after a quick refuel (of home-made soup and a sandwich), picked up the wife and kids and headed for the island of Carna.

The wind had picked up a little and it was raining steadily and persistently now. The kids saw an otter playing around in the shallows on the SE shore of Carna and, as we rounded the island for the approach to the jetty, realised we'd been enjoying the shelter provided by the island...it was fairly whipping up, cue concern.

The intention had been to do Cruachan Carna and the missus, kids and myself set off, pretty much following the route described in foggieclimber's report. The rain got heavier, visibility deteriorated and the wind appeared to be getting stronger so, maybe a little over halfway on the hill, I decided we should turn back in order to avoid any unpleasantness on the return across the waters of Loch Sunart (my wife is not the best of sailors and it had taken all my powers of persuasion to get her across there in the first place) and I was growing increasingly concerned for the kids safety.

Disappointed not to have got them to the summit this time but they were all glad to return to the warmth of the wood-burner in the cottage. My father-in-law and I persevered for another couple of hours at the fishing but by 5pm, things were getting a little hairy out there and we decided to call it a day, cold, wet through and swaying while we walked.

Until next time, Cruachan Carna.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Avocetboy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Bad luck, BV..Next year, hopefully
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby tedzwedz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Great news, I was VERY pleased to read this post!

Our family have owned the Isle of Carna for circa 140 years, and so it is always interesting to read other peoples experiences! I am sorry the weather was not great, when it is good the view is out of this world!!

for more info see our website www.isleofcarna.co.uk, the island is for rent from time to time! very cosy cottage.

I prefer the walk up the face of the Marilyn, its quicker if you are able footed, older people and children perfer teh left side as you say.

I must have climbed it 100 times, we have a book in the main house of record times guest have done it, some hill runners have done it in times of 15 mins or less I think (from memory!) to the house

I am glad you liked our caretakers boats, they have soem good nature trips etc and will be pleased!
Attachments
carna 3.jpg
carna top, looking to Loch Teacus
carna 1.jpg
carna top, misty day!
carna 2.jpg
carna looking out to sea (mull)
tedzwedz
Hill Bagger

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi

Thanks for sharing some additional photos of the Isle of Carna. :)
foggieclimber

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland