walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick ascent of Bynack More

A quick ascent of Bynack More

Postby jaml23 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 08/08/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Sat 8th Aug 2009
Time taken: 3 hours 30 minutes
Who - Just me

Standard Route used for this walk, parking up on the main Cairngorm Road opposite the Glenmore Lodge. The weather was ideal, dry and sunny although a few big lumps of black clouds hung aroung the summit of Cairngorm. The car said the air temp was 19C outside so decided to go with knee length shorts and a tee shirt with the obligatory warm jacket in the rucksack, should things change for the worse.

I had intended walking the entire route but time constraints restricted me so I decided to cycle the first part. The tracks along the initial route are first class, as the picture below shows, and in no time at all Lochan Uaine was reached.

I've seen many pictures of this loch before and awed at its colour but to see it first hand is a truly surreal experience.

There are a couple of short steep bits where I had to get off the bike and push but 30 mins after leaving the car I am at the bridge.

Time to hide the bike and start on foot. First views on Bynack More, which seems o so far away (zoomed picture).

Onwards and upwards, easy going on a well trodden path.

And looking back, you can make out the end of the good path were I left the bike.

Soon a plateau is reached and a little respite to the climb. The landscape at this point looks more like - well you make up your own mind.

The respite does not last long and you can now see the last (steep) push up to the summit.

Nearly there now

False summit there's a bit more to go yet

And finally the cairn - those clouds look like the rain bearing type.

So onto the summit in around 2 hours from the car - time for a quick bite to eat - the wind is blowing a gale now - wonder if I can find a boulder to shelter behind !

I take shelter and tuck into lunch but sods law prevails and the very slightest rain drops start to fall. The clouds to the west are getting horrendously black so fearing a deluge and with the wind already strong decide to cut short lunch and make a start down. I descend down the east side of the hill which gives me shelter from the wind. I really shudder to think what this hill would be like in height of the winter. Descent is rapid however and the rain stays away. The picture below show the paths in the area, the standard route (up and down) is the one from the Y fork in the foreground to the right to join up with the path extreme right.

An uneventful return gets me back to the car in under an hour and a half, so 3.5 hours for the round trip.

In summary the walk turned out much better than I was expecting. The bike certainly saves a lot of time over the flat valley section. I hate to think how exposed and cold this walk would be in winer - keep it for a good day.
jaml23

Munros:282   

Re: A quick ascent of Bynack More

Postby kevsbald » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm sure this must have been a good walk but I'm not able to see any of your photos.
How odd.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:01 pm

That is odd - I can see them :? Nice report - seems a fast time, even allowing for the fact you used a bike...

Anyone else not see the piccies?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby jaml23 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Checked with a couple of colleagues and they say they can see the photos OK !
jaml23

Postby kevsbald » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Must be that S**t broadband - they promised me 8MB!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jaml23 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Paul,
I was surprised myself how quick the trip was, I am not usually the fastest on foot, nor do I try to be. The lower slopes just seemed to suit me and I managed to keep a steady pace without knackering myself. The bike I reckon saved about 6 miles walking which time wise probably reduced the overall time by an hour and a quarter.
jaml23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland