walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norman's Law: the missing link in the North Fife Sub2K round

Norman's Law: the missing link in the North Fife Sub2K round

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:33 am

Route description: Norman's Law, from Luthrie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Norman's Law

Date walked: 31/08/2011

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had missed out on this one back in June when a combination of the weather turning bad and a call from home cut short my intended walk-drive route around the 3 north Fife Sub2Ks. :(

Managed to get away sharp and although the nights are noticably drawing in now, there was still plenty time for a quick circuit of this one. :D

Parked in the car park in the centre of the village of Luthrie and headed out onto the main road through the village before continuing straight ahead at the bend and onto the track past the collection of farm buildings on the left. The stench coming out of the various sheds and buildings was positively stomach churning and was more than enough to inject a bit of pace into my gait along the road. :shock:

Leaving the foul stench behind, I turned right at the T-junction and then began the steady climb round to the left and up past the doocot in the field on the left. Beyond the house at Carphin the track bent right then left through a gate and up onto more open moorland, although still scattered with bits of old rusting farming hardware. A faint path then leads off to the right along the base of the crags and descends between two patches of forestry to a good track which skirts around the base of the summit cone of Norman's Law. The pull up to the summit is steep but short-lived and the views from the trig-point, cairn and view indicator adorned summit are quite special. 8)

I spent a good 20 minutes or so taking in the views and simply relaxing with my back to the trig pillar gazing across the river to Dundee and Craigowl Hill, a place that will always hold a very special and dear place in my heart after the events of March, before descending back to the track, where gorse clearing operations were taking place, and then following the circuit route described on here by turning right onto the track and following some fairly vague paths and directions back to the houses at Wester Kinsleith where I picked up a track that bends back to the T-junction near the farm at the start.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_7919.JPG
Welcome to Luthrie

IMG_7920.JPG
Luthrie village hall

IMG_7921.JPG
Stinky farm - quick march!

IMG_7923.JPG
Cottage at T-junction

IMG_7926.JPG
Cattle by the doocot

IMG_7929.JPG
Views of the rolling North Fife farmland

IMG_7930.JPG
Lots of machinery and hardware kicking around

IMG_7932.JPG
The route ahead to my destination

IMG_7935.JPG
The Lomonds

IMG_7939.JPG
Norman's Law beyond the forestry

IMG_7942.JPG
Crossing the good track just before the final push

IMG_7947.JPG
Dundee across the Firth of Tay with the Tay Bridge on the far right and magical Craigowl Hill to the left

IMG_7948.JPG
Those Lomonds again

IMG_7949.JPG
More views North East

IMG_7950.JPG
Cairn, trig pillar and Lomonds

IMG_7951.JPG
Never seen one of these on a summit cairn before

IMG_7952.JPG
Upriver towards Perth

IMG_7954.JPG
Self timed #1

IMG_7956.JPG
Self timed #2

IMG_7959.JPG
Where's the path gone?

IMG_7961.JPG
Hello!

IMG_7962.JPG
Different angle on Norman's Law

IMG_7964.JPG
Norman's Law from Wester Kinsleith
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Norman's Law: the missing link in the North Fife Sub2K round

Postby Stretch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 am

Nice one Graeme, but did you find the sinister looking beast on that village plaque?
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Great report, i enjoy walking a lot of the smaller hills. What fantastic views you got, I have fancied walking this one for a while. I see you saw some cows on your walk were they all safely behind fences/walls? We always have our dog with us and I never walk amongst cows, we were most disappointed to reach the top of Benarty only to see a herd of cows surrounding the trig point :lol:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Stretch wrote:Nice one Graeme, but did you find the sinister looking beast on that village plaque?

Cheers Stretch. No sign of the viscious Beast of Luthrie! :(

Sarah86 wrote:Great report, i enjoy walking a lot of the smaller hills. What fantastic views you got, I have fancied walking this one for a while. I see you saw some cows on your walk were they all safely behind fences/walls? We always have our dog with us and I never walk amongst cows, we were most disappointed to reach the top of Benarty only to see a herd of cows surrounding the trig point :lol:

Thanks Sarah. I've enjoyed a few good lesser hills these past 6 months. Never good to come across cows when with the dog. I've had a few hairy such moments. All livestock on this walk were safely behind walls/fences. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Great report of that little beauty Graeme, some stunning views for a little un too - good job you steered clear of the (soon to be famous)"Wolfcow of Luthrie" :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland