walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Skye Memories: Beareraig Bay - knock knock on the rock!

My Skye Memories: Beareraig Bay - knock knock on the rock!

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Route description: Bearreraig Bay

Date walked: 27/06/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When we say :Isle of Skye, we tend to think: the Cuillin, the Trotternish Ridge, coral beaches... But the magic island is also full of hidden spots, little treats for walkers to enjoy. I'm a frequent visitor to Skye and so far, I have explored maybe 10% of the island.
One of these yummy treats is Beareraig Bay - a place where the past meets the present :D
We visited this spot during our Skye holidays last year. It was a cloudy day, not good enough to climb in the Cuillin, so we picked a lowland walk.The bay is only a short distance from A855 and in theory, it shouldn't take more than an hour to walk the whole route shown on the map - but bear in mind you are going fossil-hunting! We spent half a day wandering along the rocky beach, searching for signs of both past and present wildlife.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We left the car at the car park for the Storr. Indeed, one can conveniently combine the Beareraig Bay route with the Storr. And remember, the best time to explore the bay is at low tide!
The route took us along the track to the dam at the end of Loch Leathan. From the dam, there's a good view towards the Storr:
Close-up to the Storr cliffs:
Posing with a view:
Another 15 min of walking and the track ends at the top of the cliffs, by the winding house. It's a splendid viewpoint:
The building of Hydro station down below:
The Storr overlooking the bay:
Explanatory boards at the viewpoint:
The path down the cliff is very narrow and step. We descended carefully to the rocky beach below - and soon we became "entrapped" by the landscape! Rocky and green cliffs behind us, blue sea on the other side... One of these magic moments!
Kevin studying the path :lol: :lol: :
Rocks and sea come together:
Wildlife was abundant, from sea birds to different seashore creatures. Herring gulls watched us with some interest:
Limpets attached to the rock:
A sea anemone and a common periwinkle waiting for the tide to come in:
Just out of the water, an edible sea urchin:
We found quite a few bits of broken sea urchin shells, an undeniable proof of otter activity, but no otter showed up anywhere :(
We only walked a short distance along the beach when we discovered the first message from the past:
There's plenty to study in Beareraig Bay, a lot of "stamps" engraved in the Jurassic rock. The most common fossils are ammonites, the now extinct group of molluscs. They were closely related to present coleoids (squids, octopuses) but they resembled sea snails. The biggest fossilized ammonite shells, found in North America, reach 2 metres in diameter! Individuals found in Beareraig Bay aren't exactly that big, but still they look impressive:
The second common fossil type are belemnites, an extinct order of squid-like creatures. The fossilized parts we find today are their hard internal skeleton:
This one looks like a dinosaur bone, but i think it is still a belemnite:
A different fossil type - some sort of clams:
The Jurassic rock itself takes in strange shapes - these here looking like huge balls (diplodocus eggs??? :lol: :lol: :lol: )
As one wanders along the seashore, it feels like we suddenly traveled back in time. I almost expected to see the shadow of pterodactylus gliding in the sky above...
In the meantime, I was preoccupied by turning over every pebble :D
We lost the sense of time... And it was TIME to go... The tide was coming in...
The last moment, the last pose before leaving this magical place...
Well, if I'm still alive and well next year (no reason why I shouldn't be :lol: ) I'll go back to Beareraig Bay - one visit is certainly not enough for me!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: My Skye Memories: Beareraig Bay - knock knock on the rock!

Postby morag1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:39 pm

very nice Black Panther - an interesting and atmospheric place

think these may well be dinosaur eggs - I am sure I saw a TV programme about the dinosaurs with almost identical eggs but have forgotten where they were found

this report has gone into my file on Skye ( getting bigger by the day!) :D
morag1

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm

I once saw an otter body-surfing in the waves at Beareraig Bay . I thought those big rounded rocks were either pillow-lava (though it doesn't look like lava rock) or fossilised Stromatolites, one of the earliest life-forms.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DonnyW » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:41 am

I used to see the otters regular too.. Best early morning or in the evening.. they used to hang out around the fresh water burn half way along the beach. The otters need to prune themselves in fresh water after swimming in the sea as the salt doesn't agree with their fur :o

Nice report and glad you found the fossils ..there are lots there 8)
DonnyW

Postby RicKamila » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Definately doing this next time we head to Skye!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Interesting report, thanks.
foggieclimber

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:58 am

Great report BP and so much to see for such a short wander, loved all those fossils, did you forget to mention the crab lurking behind the sea anemone in your "A sea anemone and a common periwinkle waiting for the tide to come in" pic?

He is well disguised - great report, if I ever get back to Sky I'll be taking a look down here :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Very interesting- great report :)
Will keep this place is mind when we're in the area again.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes, very enjoyable and very interesting BP. It's great to see all the extra special wee corners that you find to entertain inbetween all mountains....like the wee crab hiding next to the urchin too.......thanks
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby sloosh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for that, BP. :thumbup: I'm hoping to get up to Skye in the next few weeks and I'd forgotten all about the fossils so a wee change of itinerary is now very likely! :D
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Musicfinder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks for the report and photos. Now one more place to visit on our next return to Skye.
Musicfinder

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for sharing this BP! I love the hidden corners as much as I love the hills.
I've spent some time wandering around Flodigarry finding a few ammonites, but going by your report Beareraig Bay offers lots more to see- will have to pay it a visit in the future.
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby Alastair S » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:10 am

Super stuff BP. One of the great things about this site is the number of hidden treasures - like this one - it throws up. My daughter would love this place - and I dare say I would too :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks everybody! I'm a bit surprised to receive so many kind comments - thank you one more time :D :D This is by far the best place to hunt for fossils I've seen in Scotland. Another one is Upper Eathie near Cromarty (Black Isle) but most of the rock there is very soft so fossils easily fall apart. Beareraig Bay also offers fantastic views, especially when one looks up to the Storr up above.
Just another proof that there's no place like Skye!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland