walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Devils and Angels

Devils and Angels

Postby incompleat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 04/09/2011

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 38 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date:Sunday 04/09/2011
Time: 10hrs 29m
Distance: 38km (bike 14km, foot 24km)
Weather: Sunny with a change of midges
Participants: Me, Mike, Brian

Lots of photos for this. More available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chimpaction/sets/72157627608608310/

This was a trip a long time coming. We had been waiting for the availability of all involved to align with the required weather window for all of the summer. Now it was on. This was to be the trip which completed the Cairngorms for me, as well as all Munros east of the A9. Well, apart from one which I have potentially earmarked for my final Munro in a few years time...

It would also be the first hill trip for my new camera - an upgrade from a Nikon D50 to a D90.

We set off from the Linn of Dee just after 8am. It had been a chilly clear night and gloves were required on the bikes. We scooted up to Derry Lodge and then cycled/slid across the Derry flats (last time at Easter, this section had been bone dry - today it was a bog) We dumped the bikes about halfway between Derry Lodge and the Luibeg crossing. The day was warming up so the zip-off trouser legs were removed and we set off on foot.

We crossed the Luibeg via the bridge, more because we had never done it before, rather than due to the water levels and then made our way round Carn a' Mhaim into the Lairig Ghru.

Luibeg Bridge by chimpaction, on Flickr

Glimpse into Glen Geusachan by chimpaction, on Flickr

Sentinels II by chimpaction, on Flickr

The Lairig Ghru by chimpaction, on Flickr

Cross the Dee by the bridge, and stop at the empty(!) bothy for a coffee break..

Corrour Bridge by chimpaction, on Flickr

Corrour Bothy by chimpaction, on Flickr

After our coffee break, we hauled ourself up into Coire Odhar at a steady pace, following the path as it steepens and zigzags up the headwall to the 900m bealach between The Devil's Point and Cairn Toul. Here we dumped our packs and headed for the short climb to the summit of The Devil's Point. I'll let the photos speak for themselves..

Glen Dee and Glen Geusachan by chimpaction, on Flickr

The Devil's Point Summit I by chimpaction, on Flickr

The Devil's Point Summit II by chimpaction, on Flickr

The Devil's Point Summit III by chimpaction, on Flickr

The Devil's Panorama by chimpaction, on Flickr
(Go on, click this one for larger views....)

Cairn Toul from The Devil's Point by chimpaction, on Flickr

After soaking up the views here, it was back to the bealach and onto Cairn Toul. We hugged the edge to the 1213m top and then followed a bouldery route to the summit of Cairn Toul..

Cairn Toul by chimpaction, on Flickr

Cairn Toul Viewpoint. by chimpaction, on Flickr

Bear-riach II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Falls of Dee by chimpaction, on Flickr

Brian and Braeriach by chimpaction, on Flickr

Cairn Toul Summit Cairn IV by chimpaction, on Flickr

The summit of Cairn Toul was a little chilly, so after abite to eat and some of Mikes homemade ginger beer (with a kick!) it was onwards to the last hill of the day..

Cairn Toul North Panorama by chimpaction, on Flickr
(Go on, click this one for larger views....)

Sgor an Lochain Uaine (The Angel's Peak) Summit Cairn II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Cairn Toul from Sgor an Lochain Uaine (The Angel's Peak by chimpaction, on Flickr

Lochain Uaine II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Cairngorm Explorer by chimpaction, on Flickr

We met a few folk on the summit here and hung around for a good while gawping at the views. My new camera also proved its worth here with my favourite shot of the day, this panorama...

The Angel's Panorama by chimpaction, on Flickr
(Click the photo for larger views)

Eventually, time was wearing on, so we started back. We polished off the 2nd bottle of Ginger Beer and then contoured round Cairn Toul. On the descent of Cairn Toul, we picked up a path which has been hidden on the ascent but was prefectly visible on the descent. It proved a speedy way off the hill, avoiding the boulders and we made it from Sgor an Lochain Uaine summit to Corrour Bothy in 90 minutes.

Cairn Toul Descent by chimpaction, on Flickr

Descent to the Lairig Ghru by chimpaction, on Flickr

Bothy Days by chimpaction, on Flickr

After another break in the sunshine and a chat to a couple of German hikers, we set off back around Carn a' Mhaim. This leg felt much longer than it did on the walk in. At the Luibeg, we crossed by the stones (nearly managed to lose a pole in the river here) and then got back to the bikes.

On the cycled back from Derry Lodge we began to pass more and more people wearing midge nets. Looking down, our legs were crawling with the winged devils. Fearful for our skin, we never stopped until we reached the Linn of Dee carpark. The midges here were as bad as I have seen them anywhere on the west coast and it was an epic struggle to get th ebikes onto the bike rack. We were stratching ourselves all the way to the Inver Hotel.
incompleat
Mountaineer

Munros:167   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:18   

Re: Devils and Angels

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Fantastic! Looks like the D90 works a treat - and that's coming from a Canon man. These 4 are at the very top of my 'to-do' list - hope I get similar conditions as you guys had. Thanks for sharing!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kev_russ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Stunning :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Fabulous report for a really great route. A great set of photos. The Devil's Point is a real gem & the views from the other two aren't bad either.

Looks like I was lucky with the midges as I was across the way on Braeriach - only had a handful at the Whitewell car park & just got a single wee bite.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Wow, fab report, pictures are stunning. I really should upgrade to a D-SLR proper. "Dear Santa..."
Good time too over that distance.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby PhilTurner » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I've put the DSLR Transportation Solutions posts into a new topic here - I'd hate for those top tips to get lost :D

Phil
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Good thinking Phil - for you next trick you could tell us how you did that :lol: :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Alastair S wrote:Good thinking Phil - for you next trick you could tell us how you did that :lol: :lol:

Special powers ;)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland