walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The rain, again, falls mainly on Ben Vane

The rain, again, falls mainly on Ben Vane

Postby icemandan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 09/09/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 939m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

When a friend suggested Ben Vane, I remembered that the last time I did it, it was raining so hard we were soaked through by the time we got our boots on. I thought it would be good to see the view....

Unfortunately, we drove up from Kendal in unrelenting rain. In Dumbarton, the tops of the lamp posts were disappearing into the mist. It hadn't got much better by the time we reached the car park at Inveruglas.

Image0051.jpg

Good progress up the track and a poached swamp of a path eventually resolved into a sinuous thread which picked a way steeply up through misty crags.

Image0052.jpg

As we climbed higher, the mist lifted and Beinn Vorlich emerged from the cloud.

Image0055.jpg

The summit had some fantastic long misty views emerged. So we got to see something after all

Image0057.jpg

I was in new boots and feeling smug about finishing a very wet walk with dry feet. Unfortunately when we reached the bridge over Inveruglas water and home and dry we found our way blocked by a large bull standing on the bridge. The burn was swollen with the day's rain. Weighing up the relative merits of being gored to death and drowning, we went for the latter and a precarious crossing using mossy rocks and overhanging tree branches ended in a dunking. Inveruglas looked a lot better when we got back.

Image0062.jpg
Last edited by icemandan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icemandan
Mountain Walker

Munros:250   Corbetts:26
Grahams:13   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: The rain, again, falls mainly on Ben Vane

Postby monty » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm

A favorite hill of mine icemandan. Its boggy start, hillocky ascent and falls summit. For a small hill it has it all. Shame about the boots though :lol:
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland