walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain, Beinn a Dhotaidh

Beinn Dorain, Beinn a Dhotaidh

Postby blanchie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 11/09/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1240m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather supposed to clear late pm, I set off at lunch from the Bridge of Orchy hotel, thinking longingly of the punters enjoying a pint in the dry inside. A strong southerly was accompanied by lashing rain but I left the decision to put the waterproofs on far too late and was drenched after a couple of km. Heading up the col I met a couple of groups heading down who had both had enough and had only climbed Beinn Dorain. I had a good chat with an engaging pair of walkers on the ridge who were wetter than wet and were probably heading down as well. Hmm, should I bother?

And I'm not glad I did. Having skirted round the sheep track around Beinn Dorain and then doing its ridge backwards in fairly foul weather, the weather lifted a bit as I headed down the col. So with plenty of time I decided to take it on. The path was good until the weather and visibility worsened again and I ran into a morass of bog and no sign of a path on the other side of it. I had navved up Ben Dorain but took my compass out too late heading up an Dhotaidh. A check of the map and I could see no particular hazards so just headed straight up for where I thought the ridge was and started pacing and timing myself just in case. The wind was pretty wild up the top, but just bearable, so having made a brief acquaintance with the summit cairn, I navved back down to the col where I could finally see something again. Bridge of Orchy in a shaft of sunlight!

Strangely, I was pleased to have done both hills, but will remember the two too lates the next time!

DSCF0250[1].JPG
There's light at the end of the tunnel!
Last edited by blanchie on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Re: Beinn Dorain, Beinn a Dhotaidh

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Just like me always to late with the trooosers! :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Dorain, Beinn a Dhotaidh

Postby blanchie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Photo of B of O attached.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland