walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett bagging on the road to Kinloch Hourn

Corbett bagging on the road to Kinloch Hourn

Postby JOHNGG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Eugallt, near Kinloch Hourn

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eugallt

Date walked: 18/09/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 850m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With only 15 Corbetts to go, the choices for new hills are becoming limited. The weather forecast for Monday wasn't looking too good so I decided against the long drive up north to attempt Fionaven and Ben Loyal over a couple of days and opted instead for a drive down towards Kinloch Hourn to tick off Sgurr nan Eugallt on Sunday and do a bit of scouting for a future canoe attempt on Ben Aden. Lots of rain as I drove through from Aviemore but on queue the sun came out and things started to look up.

Loch Quoich Sept 2011 001.JPG
Looking west down Loch Quoich

I'd forgotten how twisty the single track road down to Kinloch Hourn is, but I wasn't in a hurry and was soon parked by another car beside the ruined cottage at Coireshubh and making my way up the excellent stalkers path which starts beside it.

Loch Quoich Sept 2011 004.JPG
Coireshdubh cottage

The stalkers path certainly takes the sting out of the ascent and allowed me to concentrate on the views, which just kept getting better and better. The path looks like it stops at about 600m by a small cairn, but actually it continues by another small cairns, which is up and to the right, and this then zig zags to the ridge of Sgurr nan Eugallt. There is the remains of an old iron fence which helpfuly goes all the way to the summit and would be a useful guide in mist and cloud. But today no need of any help from the fence as the summit was straight ahead.

Loch Quoich Sept 2011 010.JPG
Looking up the ridge

There's nothing technical on the way up - just a great ridge walk with cracking views - although the last 100 metres does get a bit steeper and right at the summit there's a steep face which presents a scramble if you want, although any difficulty can be avoided by keeping left of this bit. An hour and a half after leaving the car I was at the top and sitting by the circular trig point drinking in the views. God I just love Knoydart and the hills round here !

Looking east from summit.JPG
Looking east from the Summit

Looking towards Ladhar Beinn.JPG
Looking west to Ladhar Beinn

Sgurr nan Ciche and Ben Aden.JPG
Is that Ben Aden over there ?

Loch Quoich Sept 2011 011.JPG
Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach from the west

The western top of Sgurr Sgaith Airigh was looking a it too high for my liking so I wandered over there just in case the SMC or Ordnance Survey does any re-measuring and enjoyed the views there as well. I briefly thought about descending west from here but decided against it (and the walk back to the car) and instead retraced my steps back to the summit, then headed east to the 800m top between Sgurr nan Eugallt and Sgurr a Chlaidheimh . Looking back west this afforded a nice view of the ridge up to Sgurr nan Eugallt.

Loch Quoich Sept 2011 020.JPG
Sgurr nan Eugallt from the East

From this top I decided to head north back to the road. There is a reasonably straightforward ridge that I hoped to follow but I went a bit too far to the west and ended up having a few problems weaving my way through unexpected crags and boggy slopes. Still, I didn't slip and fall over (bonus) and got back to the car in one piece. The car parked beside me was still there - the only sign of other walker (?) activity as I didn't see another soul all day on the hill.
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Re: Corbett bagging on the road to Kinloch Hourn

Postby kinley » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 pm

JohnG wrote:The western top of Sgurr Sgaith Airigh was looking a it too high for my liking so I wandered over there just in case the SMC or Ordnance Survey does any re-measuring and enjoyed the views there as well.

Mmm...KH hills. :D

If you're into the whole highest point thing.....the summit is apparently a point between the trig and Sgurr Sgiath Airigh.

Did like this hill though

JohnG wrote:With only 15 Corbetts to go, the choices for new hills are becoming limited.

Thankfully we've still got lots of Grahams and lower hills unascended. ;)
kinley

Postby JOHNGG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi Kinley

Yes - the trig isn't the highest point - but the true summit is close by and I made sure I stood on it as I walked past.

Love your photo of the Ben in the distance - it was a bit clouded over on Sunday.

JG
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Postby kinley » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:40 pm

JOHNGG wrote:Yes - the trig isn't the highest point - but the true summit is close by and I made sure I stood on it as I walked past.

Good for you :) Although 500m away from the trig is only "close by" to some. A true Corbetteer :thumbup:
kinley

Postby PeteR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Just love your first picture :D :D :D And this is a super area. A twisty road it is, but it never disappoints me whenever I drive down it :D Hoping to return soon, but it will all depend on the weather of course, as this is an area where I really want to soak in the views if I can.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 am

Stunning area this with wonderfull views and lots of choice of hills, looking forward to returning next year. Thanks for fine report
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Great views from this hill. Even if you're not bothered about where the actual summit is, it's well worth going westwards just for the view. I intend to return and do a traverse of the eastern ridge at some point 8)

Nice photos - weather was much better down that way than in Inverness on Sunday!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby magicdin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:53 pm

"The western top of Sgurr Sgaith Airigh was looking a it too high for my liking so I wandered over there just in case"

I felt and did exactly the same when I was there
And I'm jumping on the bandwagon - Sgurr nan Eugallt appreciation society - terrific hill and viewpoint :thumbup:
CIMG0270.JPG
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Great report and pics too, that first one has got 'chocolate box / calendar' written all over it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Yes, me too. Great hill. Climbed it from the southeast. I didn't mind the higher ground nearby, it was windy and cold.
img1998_015.jpg
Looking south to Slat-bheinn (old color slides...)

img1998_016.jpg
Looking west to Ladhar Bheinn
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland