walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blaeloch Hill

Blaeloch Hill

Postby guyhansfordmbcs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Date walked: 21/09/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 450m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ignore the 8 hours: it was my second outing after a broken fibula with 6 weeks in plaster and 4 months nursing a massive bruise so I was walking very cautiously, especially among the usual horrible tussocks with the wind blowing 36 gusting 52 mph.
Blaeloch Hill is just one of the score of indistinguishable lumps between Largs/Fairlie and Muirsheil but it has 7 things in its favour.
1) You're climbing up Fairlie Glen 2 minutes after leaving the train at Fairlie; 2) There's a pretty little sheltered picnic spot at a miniature cave and waterfall at the mouth of the Whatside Burn, and slightly bigger ones on the Outermoor Burn; 3) The usual splendid views over the Firth of Clyde; 4) A grandstand view (September 2011) of the line of wind turbines being built between Muirhead Reservoir and Knockendon Reservoir; 5) The turbines' access road is 15 minutes North from the summit if you're scunnert of the tussocks; 6) That road brings you onto the A760 just 600m East of the NE gate of Kelburn Estate for a very pleasant descent through the park; 7) A big bowl of very good soup at the Kelburn Visitor Centre before strolling back along the path to Fairlie Castle.
guyhansfordmbcs
Rambler

Munros:137   Corbetts:55
Fionas:25   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Blaeloch Hill

Postby FMCKIE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm

You will be taking a tent for Hill of Stake then. Tussock hell. Its neighbour Marilyn.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby guyhansfordmbcs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I've cursed every tussock from Misty Law and Hill of Stake to Knockdal Ring. We have to take ATC cadets there for DofE expeditions and practice. But I manage to come home and leave them in the tents.
guyhansfordmbcs
Rambler

Munros:137   Corbetts:55
Fionas:25   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Postby AlisonFox66 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 am

I like Blaeloch Hill
It is a great approach from Fairlie
My ascent was in January and the tussocks were not a problem ....deep snow however

Hill of Stake , not so good
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland